Discuss Uneven Grout colour using BAL in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mark Parmley

I've just tiled my bathroom and started grouting tonight with Bal micromax gunmetal. The grouts been down approx. 4 hours and looks to be drying very patchy colour wise. Most of it looks to be drying fairly light, while some smaller areas are a totally different shade. Granted, I appreciate it won't have dried properly yet but I'm worried that I've ballsed it up.

Admittedly, I wasn't mixing consistently by weighing and measuring. I was just mixing batches till it looked and felt the right consistency. I also suspect when sponging down, the sponge was probably too wet...

Could I have sabotaged myself by doing these things? And if so, what are the possible ways to fix?

D

Dougs Third Go

I think you've probably answered your own question, inconsistent mixes and too much water on your sponge will probably lead to shade variation. Give it a couple of days though and see how it dries.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with ball i got the rep out
and was told i had over washed the floor. You could try a grout pen.

F

Flintstone

There is no easy way to remove. Perhaps try something like Universeal grout rescue.
I have a job to grout with that exact same bal gunmetal grout next week so I’ll see how that goes.

craig89

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
most of these grout/adhesive problems go something like this;
"Hey tiler, what you need for your tiling job is this new all singing all dancing product that's the best thing since sliced bread!"
Tiler finishes job using new product and has a problem with adh/grout
so calls tech rep for assistance.......Tech rep turns up and says "Sorry Tiler, but you've over washed/mixed/emulsified/scrubbed blah blah blah.....It's not our product, it's YOU."

B

Blunt Tool

The BAL tech rep that comes up to Aberdeen from the central belt is a cool guy and knows his stuff.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Lot of problems with BAL micromax grouts.......if your not used to them.

U need to mix enough to do a whole area at 1 hit........then don’t use a soaking wet sponge.

Saying that.......a lot of the cheap Matt look tiles don’t help much either. :(

T

Time's Ran Out

I wasn’t overly impressed with the Bal gunmetal on the hexagonal job recently posted! It literally took twice as long to do then other brands.

Jon84

TF
Reaction score
Hi all, just came across this thread as I've had the exact same issue with gunmetal grout on 2 jobs in the last month. I have attached some pictures.

I use the coloured grout from bal all the time and I've not once had this problem until recently.
I even went into my local topps where I got the grout yesterday and they had done a display the day before which had the exact same issue!
Is it really our fault or are bal just blaming us for dodgy batches of grout??

The particular tiles in this photo were cheap Matt porcelain from wickes which were terrible, all varied in size by 1-2mm, a pain when you're using 2mm spacers!

20180510_160218.jpg
20180510_160002.jpg
20180510_155741.jpg
20180510_155754.jpg

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I use bal gun metal a lot. Never had a problem with it. You do need to let it set before first wash.
If it does not dry then try mapai fuga fresca in Manhattan to colour over

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Screenshot_20180514-141243.png

Used bal gun metal last week on this porcelain job. No issues. Did mix the mix in the bag a bit then mixed whole bag. Always do and stuck to the water ratio.

Reply to Uneven Grout colour using BAL in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks