Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Underfloor heating under a very poor tiling job - advice please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

JON HUME

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Advice please chaps - i’m a bit new to all this! I’ve been to a house today where they have had a very poor tile job done where tiles have come loose, floors not levelled, loads of lipping etc etc. The builder has done a runner and left them in the sh*t!

One thing I saw which I haven’t before is the underfloor heating laid in 2 inch thick polystyrene, then with a thin metal/aluminium sheet and then finally screed laid but very thinly before the tile was then laid on top.

Is this correct? There seems to be a lot of give as the polystyrene is laid directly on a wooden floor. Sorry about the poor pictures but this is the only area where you could see the materials.

Advice and opinion appreciated! Thanks

9050B3C7-FF56-42CC-B4BB-525FF08FBBF7.jpeg 53AAB96E-6EFB-4FAB-8BBF-5C6320D0C5AA.jpeg F71FABD6-5A7A-48CD-9B82-38B7E7AB11DD.jpeg 0690BF66-5F60-489C-8DC0-7EE31A267743.jpeg

OP
F

Flintstone

Jon, that is levelling compound direct to the foil which is a no go. These systems are notoriously tricky to tile over safely, are you being asked to rectify this job?

OP
J

JON HUME

Thanks, they have asked me to tell them what is wrong with the job as it is very poor. They are making an insurance claim and then want it all rectified.

OP
D

Dumbo

Be easier to what is right with it . If they want you to write a report on this charge them for it . You probably won't get the work unless you are deadly cheap being as it is insurance claim .

OP
R

Rookery

My advice would be not to get involved. You're already being asked to give an opinion on a method you're not familiar with, you could easily find yourself drawn into a battle you don't need. It's not worth the hassle.

Reaction score
I did a job on these boards before Christmas,if they are the same they are from Wundafloor,I gave no guarantees and followed the technical advice sheet to the letter and customer was happy with that so I would try them for advice

Reply to Underfloor heating under a very poor tiling job - advice please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock