Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Turning on ufh for the first time in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have electric underfloor heating in a 4m x 5m room, tiled with 45cm x 45 cm tiles. The majority of the tiles have been down for a week. The tiler is to put the last 2 half tiles down (due to problems with the door) tomorrow, they only have 2 wires running under them. I would be very grateful for any advice about when I can switch the heating on and in what stages.

How much does the cold weather affect the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ drying time?

Normally I would be patient, but it's the kitchen where we are eating christmas dinner and it's large and cold; it would be wonderful to have the heating on and at a decent heat.
Many many thanks for any advice (tho' I know it may not be good news!)

OP
D

diamondtiling

Hi Susan,
welcome to the forum. In normal circumstances you would turn your UFH on after about 2 weeks, it would be at it lowest setting and then slowly increased by 1 degree per day up to the desired setting. Unfortunately you have wires that are still not tiled over and so it would be wrong to turn it on. The two week period starts from when the last tile is laid, I presume you have paid out quite a bit for the whole installation and it would be a shame to jeopardize it at this stage. I think you might have to get a room heater on Christmas day or a large bottle of whisky, that will keep you warm.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
F

faithhealer

Hi Susan, for the money you have paid , wait as Diamond says. I'm sure it won't affect anybody elses Xmas day
Merry Xmas and welcome to the forum

OP
R

Rich

Sorry to but in but i just read this thread and thought I ask your advice. will the UFH affect the grout or is it the just the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ that needs to be left for 2 weeks? EG... If a floor was tiled but not grouted for a week or so, would you leave it 2 weekd from being laid or grouted?

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Can't add anything useful to Diamonds advice except perhaps a nice 12 year old Malt or a decent Cognac would help no end. Won't get your heating on any sooner but at least you won't care so much....

OP
D

diamondtiling

I could not agree more, I think this Glenmorangie I am drinking is giving me a warm happy glow, time for another me thinks.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I could not agree more, I think this Glenmorangie I am drinking is giving me a warm happy glow, time for another me thinks.

What an appropriate smiley.....Very seasonal :thumbsup:

Reply to Turning on ufh for the first time in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock