Discuss transition to recessed mat in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Once the tiles are down the tile layer will be a little more than 10mm higher than the mat. I'm guessing I'll need to replace the metal trim with something higher which angles down onto the mat?

Reaction score
Thank you both.

The L shape trim with packing under the mat sounds a good solution in this case.

How much will the adhesive compress? 9mm tile + 12mm adhesive - ?mm compression will tell me what height trim to buy, but I've no experience to know if I'll lose 2mm 0r 8mm in compression?

T

Time's Ran Out

After the mat height - the bottom of the door will need altering, then the thresh ........

Reaction score
I think the tiles will most probably end up fairly level with the mat, with a 9mm tile plus adhesive, depending on how flat the floor is finished height would be around 12-15mm. I'd use a 10mm trim and some small plastic wedges to keep it tight to the tile. Might be worth going for a stainless steel trim as the aluminium ones only have a anodised coating that would wear off over time with foot traffic. The last mat well I tiled never had any trim (the customer's choice) but used the finished edge of the porcelain tile.

20180913_173201.jpg

Reaction score
I think the tiles will most probably end up fairly level with the mat, with a 9mm tile plus adhesive, depending on how flat the floor is finished height would be around 12-15mm. I'd use a 10mm trim and some small plastic wedges to keep it tight to the tile. Might be worth going for a stainless steel trim as the aluminium ones only have a anodised coating that would wear off over time with foot traffic. The last mat well I tiled never had any trim (the customer's choice) but used the finished edge of the porcelain tile.

View attachment 106059

That's a nice job you did!
I'll go with stainless, thanks for the tip.

If I understand right, the wedges as well as holding tight to the tile, allow it to float off the floor at the right height until the adhesive dries. Good stuff.

Reaction score
For the stairs, butt a tile against the carpet and run a sharp Stanley blade along the top of the tile to cut off the excess. Protect the carpet from tile adhesive with some cloth tape and tile up to the stairs, could get a carpet gripper strip and nail to the bottom stair or use spray adhesive to keep the carpet in place. Hopefully you understand that okay. Thanks

G

GoneGuy

For bottom step I take off the carpet or pull it up, tile up to the step leaving around 2/3mm gap and use spray adhesive to stick the carpet back and use a hook/concave Stanley blade to trim the carpet

Reply to transition to recessed mat in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks