Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Top edge of tile over tile finishing in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am planning to tile over tile in a half-tiled cloakroom to cut down on mess and effort. This means I will have to disguise the double thickness top edge. Is there a professional way of doing this? Any advice most welcome.

OP
D

DHTiling

I am planning to tile over tile in a half-tiled cloakroom to cut down on mess and effort. This means I will have to disguise the double thickness top edge. Is there a professional way of doing this? Any advice most welcome.

YES there is.........pull the tiles off and start a fresh......:thumbsup:

OP
L

Leatherface

No
not from a tile point of view -
Unless you want to use natural stone tiles and put a matching dado type border around the top to disguise the gap

OP
D

doug boardley

save effort and mess!? rip existing tiles off and hoover up Chris, customer will thank you for it!:huh2:

OP
S

Saltire69

As Dave says,pull them off and just put fresh plasterboard on if badly damaged. Will save u in the long run.:yes:

OP
B

brian c

How do you know that the tiles are solid enough to tile onto...what about weight ratios etc.D O WHAT THE GUYS SAY AND RIP THEM OFF AND RE BOARD AND START FRESH.

OP
C

ChrisM

This was a genuine DIY question, so sarcasm aside, thank you for your answers everyone.

OP
G

grumpygrouter

The answer you recieved from Dave and Brian C were serious responses. There are potential problems with tile over tiles. You do not know how well they are fixed to the wall, and depending on the tiles you wish to fix over the top, there is potential to pull the wall down with the extra weight you are adding to it.

It is quite quick to pull of the old board and reboord then tile. To tile over the top may save a small amount of time but it is also more difficult to get a good finish. Are the current tiles level for instance? You will also need to use a cement based (powder) https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and then you have the issue which was the point of your question, about the finish on the top.

Starting again really is the best solution.:thumbsup:

OP
C

ChrisM

The existing tiles are on solid brick and plastered walls, so weight wasn't my main concern. I take the point that I may not gain in the long run so will remove the old tiles and replaster if needed. Thanks to all for the advice.

OP
G

grumpygrouter

The existing tiles are on solid brick and plastered walls, so weight wasn't my main concern. I take the point that I may not gain in the long run so will remove the old tiles and replaster if needed. Thanks to all for the advice.
Chris, the fact that you are tile onto plaster IS a concern. Plaster will hold less weight than any other normal substrate used for tile at only 20kg/m2 and that includes the weight of the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout. Unless you have very thin ceramic tiles on there already, you will be approaching that weight. Anything more substantial put on the top could be cause for serious concern.

If you take the tiles off, remove the plaster as well and then dot n dab plasterboard onto the brickwork. This will give you a much better surface to tile onto, you won't need to wait for it to dry (replastering can mean a wait of up to a month!) and it will support 32kg/m2 - DO NOT SKIM THE PLASTERBOARD!

Hope this helps.

OP
B

bigandy

We may seem sarcastic sometimes but it's all said in the best intentions.The lads have given you spot on advise.

Reply to Top edge of tile over tile finishing in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock