Discuss Took the plunge , New Sigma 3DM Tile Cutter in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ishi69

TF
Reaction score
Bit disappointed with the montolit, gauge seems to out by a couple of mm and new dewalt is chipping tiles just hoping the blade needs to bed in a little otherwise a DNA is being ordered tomorrow.

B

bugs183

There is a youtube video showing how to service montolit tile cutters, it also shows how to set up the gauge correctly. I find my montolit great to use, just reset the gauge and you won't be dissapointed.

C

charlie1

How do you rate the 3E Charlie? Does it cut what you want to.

I had to calibrated it at first by adjusting the screw on left and using a straight edge, I also had to give the breaker bad a spray with wd40. It cutts straight and very clean.

G

Gazzer

Tried the new cutter out recently and after getting used to the push handle and now understanding why some people say they find it hard to line the cut up I can say its an impressive cutter. It also takes less effort and learning to scribe with a lighter action gave faultless results.

L

Lodger

I also have the Sigma 900 but not sure as to which one it is. I bought it off Fleebay with 2 handles and machine practically unused. One is a push Handel that flips back to break and other is a pull Handel, both with a rather large scoring wheel. No tile centre in Nottingham area has them, so I can't even compare it to other sigma cutters.

So far, I have only used the pull to score Handel and must say, I am impressed with the cutter.
cuts ceramic almost as easy as my rubi cuts ceramic.

A

Aston

well neale, as you know, i bought a sigma 6 nearly 2 weeks ago now after practising like mad finally have got used to it and i hate to admit this, but i like them!!. its took a week of practising scoring and breaking using different techniques but what can i say, my opinion has changed. so ive took the plunge and got a 3c with an extra max handle jut in case ;0) looks like i have turned to the dark side ;0)

G

Gazzer

well neale, as you know, i bought a sigma 6 nearly 2 weeks ago now after practising like mad finally have got used to it and i hate to admit this, but i like them!!. its took a week of practising scoring and breaking using different techniques but what can i say, my opinion has changed. so ive took the plunge and got a 3c with an extra max handle jut in case ;0) looks like i have turned to the dark side ;0)

You will be better off for it :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Traitor.. :)

So Ed, what did you find difficult that it took a week to get used to.. when i say difficult i mean what took time to get used to, was it the way it broke tiles or the technique required to get a clean break etc.

I have asked sigma users before but never get a proper answer and with you being a long time Rubi user you might tell me the truth as you see it.

G

Gazzer

Traitor.. :)

So Ed, what did you find difficult that it took a week to get used to.. when i say difficult i mean what took time to get used to, was it the way it broke tiles or the technique required to get a clean break etc.

I have asked sigma users before but never get a proper answer and with you being a long time Rubi user you might tell me the truth as you see it.

I can and have said in the past what the issue is.
With the Sigma push cutters it is more difficult to see the wheel against your mark on the tile. The way around this is to get to know the cutter and know where to line up the tile on the centre line bar....the one inbetween the bed. You also have a centre mark on the main guide.

With the pull cutters you can see the wheel clearer and you dont get this issue.

Pull and push cutters need different techniques so dont think they are all the same.

The new Max Handle system is also VERY powerful, that and the larger sprung wheel means you only need to lightly scribe and then snap the tile. if you try to be heavy handed then you with have problems.

Reply to Took the plunge , New Sigma 3DM Tile Cutter in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks