Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Too Much Too Soon - Advice Please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

W

Weebisto

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, so I'm fairly new to tile. I have always been very conscious of the fact that there is no substitute for experience, of which I have a minimal amount. After a relatively short course and a fair bit of practice I took on a number of small jobs to ease myself in, learn more and gain experience. So far so good - everyone happy. I then took on a bathroom - wall and floor - total nightmare. Disaster. Totally out of my depth and my confidence has taken an absolute battering, plus client refused to pay. Problem is I really love what I'm doing and I desperately want to get better. Is there anywhere that you guys can recommend that I could gain more practical experience? Loads of courses out there that are frankly more intense than the one I was on but don't know which would be best. Advice appreciated guys - I don't wanna let the trade down

OP
Q

Qwerty

It takes alot to acknowledge what you have said David, so hat off to you for that.
A course is really just a base to build from. Stay active on here, soak up the knowledge and experience, get to know a few local established pro's and see if you can assist them as a labourer? Attend the courses by companies such as Schluter, Mapei, Wedi, Kerakoll etc etc to gain knowledge of products.

OP
W

Weebisto

You need to get out in to the real world with a quality tiler...
It's all well and good tile display boards in a classroom environment, but it's a million miles away from what we face on a daily basis.
What went wrong with the bathroom you did..?
Man, what didn't?! When I went to look at the job, it was part of a new extension which had all been sheeted with fresh gyproc. Nice one I thought - flat, neat, tidy, in we go.....but nothing was square, floor had a run on it, a handful of pipes that I had to cut hole in tile then split the tile in 2 to fit around the pipe which didn't look great. If I'm honest I didn't spend enough time planning layout as I made the mistake of watching the clock. When customer called me to shout at me today, 2 of the floor tiles had come free - but that was as much down to his kids walking in whilst they were still setting. As I said, total nightmare. On the upside, great cuts around half moon shower tray and neat silicone!

OP
W

Weebisto

Hi mate and welcome to the forum,
Have you tried contacting local tilers to you and see if you can gain experience working along side them?
Where did you do your course to?
Thanks buddy - it was a small place in Coatbridge in North Lanarkshire. To be fair looking back on it, it was very basic and I'm defo needing more but don't wanna throw more money out unless I know it can push me on

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What tiles were they.? ...... And haven't you got any hole cutters..?
Should of asked on here before you started, product knowledge is ensentional in tile...... There's so many different products out there, some good some bad..

OP
W

Weebisto

It takes alot to acknowledge what you have said David, so hat off to you for that.
A course is really just a base to build from. Stay active on here, soak up the knowledge and experience, get to know a few local established pro's and see if you can assist them as a labourer? Attend the courses by companies such as Schluter, Mapei, Wedi, Kerakoll etc etc to gain knowledge of products.
Thanks a lot for that, much appreciated. You defo live and learn and, at the end of the day, nobody has died and I didn't damage his property but that said, that is not a conversation I'd ever want to be on the other end of again

OP
W

Weebisto

What tiles were they.? ...... And haven't you got any hole cutters..?
Should of asked on here before you started, product knowledge is ensentional in tile...... There's so many different products out there, some good some bad..
That's good advice and I will defo do that in future. They were 10mm thick ceramic tiles 600mm x 300mm. I have a hole cutter and had cut the hole then split the tile down the middle of the hole to edge both half moons together around the pipe, but the join showed pretty badly leading client to accuse me of cracking the tiles

OP
F

Flintstone

It’s a refreshing attitude you have shown and I hope this experience hasn’t put you off. We have all had problems when starting out I’m sure! As said, your best bet is to try and get on board with some reputable locally.

OP
O

On one

That's good advice and I will defo do that in future. They were 10mm thick ceramic tiles 600mm x 300mm. I have a hole cutter and had cut the hole then split the tile down the middle of the hole to edge both half moons together around the pipe, but the join showed pretty badly leading client to accuse me of cracking the tiles
Why did you split the tile down the middle? (Honest question,not being arsey)

OP
W

Weebisto

Why did you split the tile down the middle? (Honest question,not being arsey)
It's cool - figured that was the only way to accommodate the radiator pipe as it's position didn't allow it to fit between two tiles. Interested - genuinely - to hear best practice

OP
O

On one

It's cool - figured that was the only way to accommodate the radiator pipe as it's position didn't allow it to fit between two tiles. Interested - genuinely - to hear best practice
.......cut two slots in the tile with a diamond blade,snap out the 'waste' piece(leaving a 'u' shape in the tile) Fit the tile,refitting the 'waste' piece in behind the rad pipe(keeping the pattern running on the tile)

OP
S

Spare Tool

Or better still the radiator shouldn't be fitted till the tilings completed, should just be a couple of capped off pipes for the hole to slip over...but plumbers tend not to give a toss and try and get everything fitted in one visit!

OP
O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the Forum David.
Fair play for coming on and putting your hands up to a less than perfect outcome.
Why did the split tile become so noticeable? Did you get https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ between the two halves?
They should of went back together almost seamlessly.
To accuse you of cracking tiles is a bit strong, hope you explained, whilst you share your Christian name with David Blaine, you aren’t actually him, and if the radiator is fitted, you can’t circumnavigate it without some sort of compromise.

I tend to agree with others above, don’t spend more money on courses unless you have to, far better to keep your money to live on and try do a few days a week with another tiler, free of charge.
He’ll appreciate your free labour far more than any organisation will appreciate your fees.

Good luck.

Reply to Too Much Too Soon - Advice Please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock