Discuss To Tile or not to Tile... (myself) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

We all love a photo on here! Good luck with it and make sure you ask a question if your not sure. Hoover it, make sure it’s clean, prime it, mix your adhesive as per the instructions, use slow / standard set adhesive, make sure you are getting good coverage of adhesive between tile and floor. 12mm notch trowel, and probably 10 bags of adhesive

Reaction score
So I went to the house yesterday and the floor seems level, maybe off by 2mm at a very few points. Would this matter? Should I level it to 100% once I get the keys? Or is 2 mm not noticeable when put in tile.

L

LM

So I went to the house yesterday and the floor seems level, maybe off by 2mm at a very few points. Would this matter? Should I level it to 100% once I get the keys? Or is 2 mm not noticeable when put in tile.
We work to a tolerance of 3mm over a 2metre straight edge. Very very rarely do we encounter a floor that is as good as only 2mm out so you should be grateful for that. A professional tiler wouldn’t need to do any more prep in regarding the flatness of the floor if it’s as good as you say it is. Without the correct training and experience those deveations could be enough to make the floor end up looking disastrous in the hands of an incompetent person.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Not directly related.
FYI.
With the typical accuracy of +/- 0.5mm per meter measuring 2mm/2m is tricky. One thing however is that the level you have in your hand is very repeatable (over a short time - temperature and transport affect them). So if your measurement is 2 degrees then the subsequent measurements (within the realms of dust and level surface) on that floor 'should' be much improved over the +/-0.5 mm/m and limited mostly by how well you can read the vial (taking closeups images can help). There are low'ish cost solutions that would get you within +/-0.15mm/m if needed.

B

Bill

Not directly related.
FYI.
With the typical accuracy of +/- 0.5mm per meter measuring 2mm/2m is tricky. One thing however is that the level you have in your hand is very repeatable (over a short time - temperature and transport affect them). So if your measurement is 2 degrees then the subsequent measurements (within the realms of dust and level surface) on that floor 'should' be much improved over the +/-0.5 mm/m and limited mostly by how well you can read the vial (taking closeups images can help). There are low'ish cost solutions that would get you within +/-0.15mm/m if needed.
Is Earth flat?

Rosa

TF
Reaction score
Hi Josh,
I'm doing my downstair floor at the moment, 35 sqm, and it's my first time tiling also with very little to none experience in diy.
There're has been a few places that had btw 1'5 to 2 mm, but with the 12 mm notched trowel and the help of leveling system it hasn't been a problem. Try to mark where they are as when you tile in that area you know to pay attention.

Reaction score
Hey Rosa and all! As always great advice from you all! Currently waiting on the Valuers from the bank to go to the house and give us a valuation. Give them to Friday lol. As it’s holding everything up! With us progressing with getting the keys. But once I acquire them I will be on the hunt for a trowel and tile cutter etc. to get a good job done :)

Reaction score
still no keys, phoned them on Friday, and bank said will be done by Monday and then should be good to go, so probably another 1-2 weeks away :(. always get tools online haha

Rosa

TF
Reaction score
Look at the bright side:grinning:...you'll have one or two weeks to plan your setout, list what you'll need, check prices online, watch videos in YouTube ( look for sal diblasi)...2 weeks will fly!

Reaction score
small update... valuation finally back and should get keys by Friday... just have a OP on my elbow though so that's going to push it back a couple of weeks as well :mad:

Anyone fancy coming to do it for me at this rate? lol

Reply to To Tile or not to Tile... (myself) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks