Discuss To mitre or not to mitre, that is the question! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
As above. As a DIY’er what would be the best way to cut the square edge type polished metal tile trims?
I have normal tin snips, hacksaws and even one of those Evolution compound angle chop saws that cuts through steel and alsorts-but will the blade bash the trim to bits?
Would I be better cutting a mitre or cutting them straight and butting them together? Thanks in advance for your time.

Reaction score
Mitres always look better than butting them, I use the small evolution chop saw with a fine cut blade, be careful when cutting as it can flick the trim out so I always use a scrap piece of wood and clamp the trim down.

By the way. I’ve just been looking at Screwfix for blades. I notice they do a diamond blade that cuts slate and roof tiles. Is there a suitable blade for cutting porcelain tiles then? My father in law lent me his Erbaur electric tile saw but even with a new blade the tile edges were chipping. It was like the blade was kicking it’s way through the tile instead of cutting it!

G

GoneGuy

By the way. I’ve just been looking at Screwfix for blades. I notice they do a diamond blade that cuts slate and roof tiles. Is there a suitable blade for cutting porcelain tiles then? My father in law lent me his Erbaur electric tile saw but even with a new blade the tile edges were chipping. It was like the blade was kicking it’s way through the tile instead of cutting it!
Have a look on page sponsor @Pro Tiler Tools website, or even @ATSDiamondTools,
They have a good stock of blades suitable.

Reaction score
Interesting. I would have a go if I could be sure of a decent thin edge. I’ve got plenty of spare tiles as I over calculated so could afford to **** a couple up.
I would have to get a decent blade for the though as the ones I tried on the table cutter weren’t too impressive.

EDIT: I’ve just realised I’d struggle with the chop saw as the maximum cut is 300 and the long side of the tiles is 600.

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

Interesting. I would have a go if I could be sure of a decent thin edge. I’ve got plenty of spare tiles as I over calculated so could afford to **** a couple up.
I would have to get a decent blade for the though as the ones I tried on the table cutter weren’t too impressive.
You would use an angle grinder.
Trying to mitre on table cutter would be a difficult task.

Reply to To mitre or not to mitre, that is the question! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks