Discuss To mat or not to mat in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Morning everyone, I looked at a job last night that customer wants 45sqm limestone tiles fitted where a conservatory has been converted into a dining room off the kitchen.
A new solid roof has gone on and windows replaced, the sand/cement screed in conservatory needs slc to bring up to kitchen screed level, 10mm max
The opening into the now diner is now 3m wide, I’ll grind the old adhesive off kitchen floor then slc as required with diner slc

Would you use matting and/or exp joint at the point crossing between areas?

F

Flintstone

Id use TM anti fracture mat on the whole floor and use an expansion joint or soft joint where the two meet

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Out of interest how long would it take a pro tiler to lay 45sqm limestone including matting as my diary is so rammed I may need to outsource this one.
Assuming they go ahead with me which I’m in with a good shout as they’ve already seen previous similar projects and happy with.

J

J Sid

to
mat, tile, clean, seal, grout, seal
I would allow 4 to 5 days depending on shape of area, but in reality with allowing for drying you I would want at least 6 days with nobody working on it

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Cheers Julian
It would be a completely clear space as tiling wall to wall before the kitchen goes in.
6 days would be good, was thinking it’ll take me a bit more than that.

D

Dumbo

Out of interest how long would it take a pro tiler to lay 45sqm limestone including matting as my diary is so rammed I may need to outsource this one.
Assuming they go ahead with me which I’m in with a good shout as they’ve already seen previous similar projects and happy with.
So they have see previous projects you have done and are happy with what they have seen . Then someone else turns up to do the job , do you think they will still be happy.

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Maybe a daft question but Does a movement joint have to be straight or can it follow the line of the old wall? on this job where the kitchen crosses into the old conservatory used to be a bay so 3 shortish sections.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Maybe a daft question but Does a movement joint have to be straight or can it follow the line of the old wall? on this job where the kitchen crosses into the old conservatory used to be a bay so 3 shortish sections.
Not many movement joints follow right through the screec.
Most old floors joining a new floor are never parallel to each other ?
So no, most joints don’t follow the joint below imo

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve won the job but customer has changed tile to Wickes Como Limestone Porcelain
Anyone fitted them as read lots of issues recently cutting wickes porc?

J

J Sid

don't you just customers like that, "I want some lovely limestone" but change to cheap wickes porcelain when you give them the price :confused:

Reply to To mat or not to mat in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks