Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss To lift tiles or not to lift in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

K

kaharrison9

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Morning All.

Looking at tile with porcelain/ electric UFH, a solid floor that currently has a travertine floor and electrical UFH.

Any thoughts on the preparation.

1 -Remove all the stone, UFH, insulation mats and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. (Approximate time to lift stone/https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/??)

2 - Belt sand with 60 grit the stone, prime, lay new UFH and self level.

The Present stone floor appears solid with no cracks and is approximately 100m2.

Many thanks.

Kevin

Harker1.JPG Harker 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

WetSaw

Obviously your home and your choice but I'd just go for a new kitchen and decor and have the floor professionally cleaned then sealed.
If you are set on changing the floor then ideally it should all come up.

OP
W

Waluigi

Not a fan of stone so I’d take it all up and put something else down. Going over it would take a hell of a long time to heat up.

OP
B

Bill

Spend £500 on getting cleaned and save yourself some money and tell the wife to stop complaining. :p

OP
B

Blunt Tool

I think he means this is not his house just job he is going to do and asking for prep advice?

OP
K

kaharrison9

Its a wealthy customer who want a total change.

Thoughts were really asked on lifting all or belt sand, prime, lay UFH and S/Level on top.

The stone appears well bonded and no cracks

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Do you have height restrictions? As you could take up stone, clean rest best you can, prime and put down screed to give you a new floor to start with

OP
B

Blunt Tool

always. life would be boring otherwise.

maybe the op should have been clear in his original post instead of confusing one like in post #3
And maybe the measure of a true man is simply to admit when he is plain wrong :p

OP
K

kaharrison9

There is no tile height issue.

Just mulling over the pros and cons.

To take 90m2 up which is probably the belt and braces, does add a few thousand to the quote - lifting labour, SLC, new insulation matts, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, etc.

Where as a good scrub with something like LTP Solvex, belt sand 40 grit and primed with Mapei Eco Prim I think should leave a well prepped surface.

It appears a very well tiled floor and has been down for 12 years with no issues.

Reply to To lift tiles or not to lift in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock