Discuss Tin snips or Trim snips in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Does anyone use trim snoop like the ones below? How do they compare to normal tin snips for cutting metal trim?
Screenshot_2019-01-20-10-36-23.png

Q

Qwerty

I'm interested to see how these compare to a decent mitre box. I've only ever used a Quansol cutting box

L

LM

They’re ok for plastic trim up to 8mm with mitres but not great. They won’t cut metal trim.
Tin snips are handy for taking the back off metal trim but you can’t mitre with them as they bend the trim whilst cutting it.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The trim snips above are designed for cutting mitres on plastic trim. Plastic trim accounts for about 1% of the trims I use today. These do not cut metal. I use the Genesis mitre box for all trim cutting. The above snips don't even mitre plastic trim anyway, as they tend to squash the round edge trim during the cutting process. You therefore don't get a true 45deg cut.
You have now just prompted me to remove this tool from my toolbox.

W

Waluigi

Cheap wooden mitre box. Never felt the need to use anything else.

I offer Mitred tiles nowadays but not that many have gone for it due to the linear metre cost.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For years I used one of these but cutting metal trims were always a bit of a hassle.

DC4DCDA9-CDE6-43EB-85F8-5892549F2E80.jpeg

But found this in my local B&Q for £30 over Christmas, now trims are cut to perfection in seconds:D

26B7A179-9FBC-400B-ADB7-F90C2C10C7D7.jpeg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would still be using the mitre block but for £30 I couldn’t not buy it.

J

Just Rizzle

its a tool used to cut lvt design strips not plastic trims it will squash and deform miters use a block and saw much better

Reply to Tin snips or Trim snips in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks