Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling wood burning stove recess and hearth in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello. This is my first post in quite a while.
I'm about to build a dummy chimney breast for a wood burning stove. The lower portion will have sides of 7N blocks laid flat, against an existing brick wall. The recess will be quite large (approx. 1200 wide by 1500 high). The sides and the back will be tiled with 6 inch hand made tiles, that are quite heavy (600g each!).

Questions:

1) Would you fix Hardibacker board to the sides and back, or tile directly to the bricks and blocks? Or maybe a different board?

2) Which https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout would you use?

I'd really appreciate some advice, as I would like to avoid having to re-set loose tiles in the future once the stove is in place!

Cheers
Richard

OP
N
Reaction score
I've read a few posts on similar topics now. On consideration, I'm thinking of dispensing with the board. The brick is flat, the blocks are as flat as I can lay them, so why add another layer of complication, that might be subject to expansion and contraction?

Would still appreciate advice on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout. Flexible? Heat resistant? Thanks.

T

Time's Ran Out

Webber ...... the list goes on.
Your bound to have a CTD near you in Yorkshire.
Make sure the surface is dust free and damp down with a clean sponge.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, much appreciated.

Now that I've eliminated the boards, I'll have to increase my grouting gaps slightly, as I spaced the jambs to allow for an exact number of whole tiles, plus boards either side ;-) The tiles are slightly irregular sizes in any case (I make them).

Cheers
Richard

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, much appreciated.

Now that I've eliminated the boards, I'll have to increase my grouting gaps slightly, as I spaced the jambs to allow for an exact number of whole tiles, plus boards either side ;-) The tiles are slightly irregular sizes in any case (I make them).

Cheers
Richard
Can you stick up some pictures of your tiles Richard

T

Time's Ran Out

40312788-BEC9-4B4E-9ADD-BE341D85AC59.png

A real mix of styles in that one Richard!
Still I doubt if a wooden pail would have added to the ‘look’.
Tiles by Tanglebank tiles? Nice.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hello

Following on from this. I've now built the recess to the stage where I am going to start the tile this weekend.

Does anyone have any pointers on tile with irregular hand-made tiles? They are 6 inches square, but vary in size by up to 3mm. Also, some are not perfectly square.

I've previously tiled a splashback with smaller tiles like this, and managed to do it something like, using a combination of tile spacers and random bits of card.

I understand the basic principle that each tile should be in the centre of its square on a grid. How do you folk who actually know how to tile go about this?

Many thanks
Richard

Reply to Tiling wood burning stove recess and hearth in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

There are similar tiling threads here

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock