Discuss Tiling without batten in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Gus

TF
Reaction score
Do the floor first. If you are going to start the wall with full tile, make sure the floor is 100% level. If you are going to start with a cut, no problem if the floor is out of level. Try to use a laser all the way around the bathroom, cut the tiles and good luck !!

Reaction score
Hi James,
To be honest mate, however you want you tiles to fall I don’t understand why you’re so adverse to using batons.
I have a laser level and a good selection of 3”x 2” CLS in various lengths. It takes me about 15mins to baton out a bathroom and at the end of it you have the security and peace of mind that everything is in the right place and there’s gonna be no slippage.
My advice would be to stick with the batons and play it Safe mate. Cheers Dave

M

MarshallTile

You could purchase a tile tracker kit if you don't want to fix batterns to the wall. I have various lengths easy to set up and no chance of hitting a pipe or wire in the wall.

D

df1777

I've never used a batten, takes too long. I just cut one tile into as many slithers as I can and use them winner winner chicken dinner

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Batten is much easier, removes a lot of potential heartache. If going without, find lowest point in floor, set your first tile, mark wall around levelling from this, measure and cut from this line, checking frequently for level and alignment.

H

Handyeire

Batten is much easier, removes a lot of potential heartache. If going without, find lowest point in floor, set your first tile, mark wall around levelling from this, measure and cut from this line, checking frequently for level and alignment.

agree! Make sure its a plained batten thou

D

df1777

Why does he need a batten with only 4x12 tiles? They won't slip and I'd be using ready mixed. Draw a line with a level half way up the wall if you want, spread it and off you go, just make sure you ain't got any small cuts. I should have a PhD

.... throw the batten out the window, watch the next door neighbours cat though

Reply to Tiling without batten in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks