Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling under freestanding bath in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

I

Ian Black

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there, I am after advice on tile under a heavy freestanding bath. I have a suspended timber floor and am going to fix 6mm cement board over well screwed down and plenty of noggings floor. Is the norm to tile the whole floor, then put the freestanding bath on top of the tiles? Or fit bath and tile around it? Will the tiles take the compressive stress of the bath and crack? Does it need anything special under the bath?
Any help would be appreciated.

OP
O

Old Mod

You said tile around the freestanding bath, does that mean it is solid in appearance all the way around?
Like this?

IMG_8519.JPG
Or is it this style?

IMG_8520.JPG

OP
J

Just Rizzle

we are on with one at present we have strengthened the floor by putting noggings on joist hangers every 400 mm and glued and screewed down 25 mm ply over which we will glue and screew 12 mm h/b board over which we will put down ditra matting to tank out the wet room bathroom height is not a problem as on a lowered floor
the bath is a resin cast weigh of 85 kg empty with half full and owner in the total weight would be close to 300 kg
the tilers are 12mm porcelain 300 by 600

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I

Ian Black

Hi there, yes the bath is like the top picture and max weight of bath+water+person will be about 300-350kg.

Reply to Tiling under freestanding bath in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock