Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling under existing skirting and dbl glaze profile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Anyone have any tips for tile under existing skirting and plastic profiles. I'm taking the existing floor up so will have about 1.5 inch below these to tile but want to keep cuts under skirting etc

received_10156186084519192.jpeg IMG_20180327_120828.jpg

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

[DIY'er] - looking at those UPVC trims can you not just remove them? I have used a multitool for skirting but working out what level to cut was a challenge (we let a house out and it was some remedial work) as Simon says (no pun intended) it may not be parallel to the top of your tiles. I use Saxton blades - and for this a
65mm Coarse Blade - Quick Fit
SKU: QF65CB
Quality Wood Blades for Dewalt, Stanley & Worx Multitools | Saxton Blades - https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/dewalt-stanley-worx-quick-fit-blades/wood-blades

K

Kieks

In this situation I’d be more inclined to take of the skirting, re skirt once tiled. As simon has said if there all over the place ( and judging by the joints in the existing floor ) they will be.

You could come across dips in skirting between joints that were originally followed. That will maybe not work with your new set out.

I know what I mean, an am trying to say. But I can’t word it right haha.

Basically it’ll save a lot of head ache to renew them :D

OP
Stevev

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
I thought a 4m sq floor ting job would be easy-ish.... Re-skirtting wasn't part of my tile course lol, nor dealing with dbl glazing trims!!! Lol... Skirting is level it seems, just hope I have room to get under.. Not sure how the 2m trims are fixed, or how I'd re fix lol... Great

OP
Stevev

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
In this situation I’d be more inclined to take of the skirting, re skirt once tiled. As simon has said if there all over the place ( and judging by the joints in the existing floor ) they will be.

You could come across dips in skirting between joints that were originally followed. That will maybe not work with your new set out.

I know what I mean, an am trying to say. But I can’t word it right haha.

Basically it’ll save a lot of head ache to renew them :D
And the plastic trims... All 2x 2m of it???

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

The multitool will cut the skirt (Fein have some videos to show an example of speed) if you dont want to take them off.

K

Kieks

I thought a 4m sq floor ting job would be easy-ish.... Re-skirtting wasn't part of my tile course lol, nor dealing with dbl glazing trims!!! Lol... Skirting is level it seems, just hope I have room to get under.. Not sure how the 2m trims are fixed, or how I'd re fix lol... Great
And the plastic trims... All 2x 2m of it???

Ok now I’m confused, are you talking about the vertical with trims that are sitting above the skirting board? Or the plastic threshold to the bottom of the door?

Once you take up the existing floor, the tiles under the carpet. You’re left with 1.5 inch to the bottom of the skirting. That’s 38 mm ish are you sure with that measurement?

Or do you mean you’ll be raising up the floor already there 1.5 inch? In which case will you not be tile up to the rad pipes?

OP
Stevev

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
I'm assuming there will be an inch or so gap once tiles have come up, up to bottom of skirting ... Plastic trim I'm talking of is the trim along the floor in front of door and two walls, again there'll be a hap below which hopefully is enough for 6mm https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and 12mm tile and any leveler used if any.

G

GoneGuy

I'm assuming there will be an inch or so gap once tiles have come up, up to bottom of skirting ... Plastic trim I'm talking of is the trim along the floor in front of door and two walls, again there'll be a hap below which hopefully is enough for 6mm https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and 12mm tile and any leveler used if any.
The pvc trim threshold is really cheap to buy in local double glazing shops. As if you try and pull it up it will end up snapping or bending.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Steve the UPVC on the floor - can this just not be removed when you tile the floor? Maybe I have misunderstood.

W

WetSaw

Rip it all out and run those pipes to the rad properly while you're at it ( or get a plumber in to do it...)
Easier to tile and arguably a better finish to put the skirting and trim on after.

Reply to Tiling under existing skirting and dbl glaze profile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock