Discuss Tiling under bath for panel fitment in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

welwel

Hi,

Your advice please.

I wish to tile part way under a bath so the side/end panels will be in contact with these tiles.

Its a P shaped bath.

The tiles are 9mm, what distance should I allow for with the adhesive and tile so the panels just touches the tiles.

Thanks

Bob

T

Tilerdurden

Hi Bob all depends on trowel size. Guessing your using a 10mm or 12mm? I'd allow for around an extra 3mm or so on top of tile depth. Are you not using a silicone bead around the edge of the bath panel?

W

welwel

Hi,

I will be putting a silicone bead between the tiles and the side panels.

For what its worth I laid Hardiebacker board yesterday as the initial flooring was wooden floorboards

Thanks for your help, as with everything, experience counts.

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum welwel

As above will be just fine.

Ultimately tho, would be better if you could scribe the panel in after laying the floor in case of any unforeseen problems.

W

welwel

Basically means transferring the outline of your floor to the bottom of your bath panel for a perfect fit.

OK understood, however the bath panels are lipped so i'm reluctant to cut them, ill leave them as built and fill in the gap with a bead of silicon.

No doubt I will be back asking for more advice as I move along.

Excellent forum, thanks to all.

Thanks for the welcome..

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
1. Dry fit bath and mark lines to tile to (up to feet)
2. Lay floor tiles
3. Fix bath at perfect height for panel -sorted!

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Lay baton to floor, but raised by the thickness of the panel. So bottom lip of panel slips underneath.

I have the same set up in my bathroom.......silicon won't hold it alone.

W

welwel

Thanks for your advice, thinking about the use of silicone, probably not strong enough, so ill use-

http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/soudal-fix-all-high-tack-adhesive-sealant-white-290ml

If I have to remove the panel a craft knife will slice through the adhesive. Ive used this product many times-its the dogs.

Cheers

W

welwel

Hi again,

Fitted the bath today, its sitting on wooden battens and wooden uprights, there is absolutely no movement and the levels are spot on. With the bath being supported by the wood I then lowered the five feet to touch the floor.

However a slight issue, with the side panel fitted there is a gap at one end of approx 14 mm and at the other end its 20mm, so obviously the floor isnt level along the length.

How do I overcome this situation, is it permissible to put down excessive adhesive to level the tiles out to be even along the length of the panel?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes bob - 6mm will be okay to pack out but you're doing it the hard way! When using bath panels you should tile the floor level first and then fit your bath to desired height to remove all these headaches. In my experience you'll struggle to get it perfect doing it your way.

W

welwel

Hi Macten,

Thanks for your advice.

Baths coming out tomorrow, then I will tile the floor and refit the bath.

Im learning!

By the way, I have a Mach 1

Cheers

Bob

Reply to Tiling under bath for panel fitment in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks