Discuss Tiling round a quadrant shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Parkview094

My bathroom fitter has just finished tiling the floor and I'm not very happy with the finish around the shower tray. Pictures below. The tiler has filled the gap with silicone which has already pulled away slightly leaving a small hole against the tile.

Would be interested in your opinion please, is it reasonable for me to ask them to redo this tile? There is electric UFH beneath the tiles, is removing the tile going to be possible? Otherwise would grouting the gap first be an option?

full

full

Q

Qwerty

In my opinion that is not only poor workmanship with the siliconing, but poor grouting and exceptional carelessness with the mess & tool boxes!

It looks more like caulk than silicone.

Have you seen where the cut edge of the tile is in relation to the edge of the quadrant? One solution could be to remove all silicone (or caulk) and apply a consistent size bead all around.

Removing tiles over UFH is dodgy. Was self levelling compound used over the top of the cables?

My other concern looking at those photos would be the silicone at the bottom of the walls/ tray join failing and you having a leak. Were the walls tanked?

P

Parkview094

Thank you both.
Im pretty sure it's silicone they've used rather than caulk as it's soft and squishy to the touch?
At the biggest point, the tile is 12mm away from the edge of the shower tray. Can this be grouted first and then siliconed?
Unfortunately, I came home from work one day and the tiling had been completed, so I'm not sure if a self levelling compound was used under the floor or indeed if the walls were tanked. Besides asking the builder who Im sure will say "Yes", is there any way I can tell if the walls were tanked?
Whats the concern with how they've finished the tiles against the shower? They have tiled 'over' the shower tray, which I thought was the right way to do it?

Will indeed be checking the shower tray for damage, but it does have it's protective plastic cover on still. Placing the tool box there was me (I had to prove that they'd fitted the shower connections in the wrong place! :tired:)

P

Parkview094

Actually, thinking about the tanking.. They've tiled 2 showers for me. They need to redo a couple of tiles on the other shower, so will I be able to tell whether the walls are tanked when they take those tiles off? Does the tanking dry clear?

Q

Qwerty

No, tanking will be a grey, blue or black paint on type or a waterproof board. The offcuts of plasterboard and scrim tape on the tray leads me to believe it's likely it wasn't tanked.

P

Parkview094

It was definitely tiled on plaster... I guess the only question was whether that plaster was then tanked or not before tiling..

Q

Qwerty

As long as the 40mm waste pipe attached to the trap is all connected then the waste can be put together after no problems.

As long as you can find the rubber washer & internals! :oops:

Reaction score
Extremely poor working by the work man. I think you should needed to do with expert then all your issues could solved. We recommend you to do work with great and expert persons rather then inexpert person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I used silicone matched to my medium grey floor tile grout on my quad shower / floor joint rather than white to match the tray. Makes slight variances in the gap lot less obvious.

Reply to Tiling round a quadrant shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks