Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling over plywood substrate in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

Jrterror

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi.
The walls in my ensuite are coming along well...
Just thinking about the floor now.
The original tiled floor was tiled over thin sheets of plywood. The ply was on top of T&G chipboard.

Is it ok to tile on plywood? I seem to be coming across articles or posts that suggest not.

Ta. D

OP
S

Spare Tool

Hi.
The walls in my ensuite are coming along well...
Just thinking about the floor now.
The original tiled floor was tiled over thin sheets of plywood. The ply was on top of T&G chipboard.

Is it ok to tile on plywood? I seem to be coming across articles or posts that suggest not.

Ta. D
No!!

OP
J

Jrterror

I've come across Schluter Ditra Matting when buying my Addy for the walls.
Is this any good?
Which would be best?
I've not research either yet. So I don't know how they are installed. Do you have to lay them on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/? Sorry, I'm at work and not got time to research just yet.
It's a chipboard floor. I think. Haha. It has no bounce. It's a very small area. About 1m x 2m. Perhaps 2.5m. can't quite remember.
Ta again
D

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hardie Backer would be better on suspended timber floor, Ditra on concrete floors.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ditra is used to protect tiles from lateral movement found in concrete floors and by itself offers very little protection from deflection in suspended timber floors.
If you want to use Ditra you would need to overboard your chipboard with a 18mm ply first.
Personally I always use 6mm Hardie and have never had a problem.

OP
G

GoneGuy

Use hardiebacker boards. 6mm notch trowel of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ then put boards ontop and screw with rust resistant screws (30mm) and scrim the joints of the boards and skim a coat of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ over it.

OP
J

Jrterror

Ok Great. Thank you. What would I use as the scrim? Sorry, I'm a complete novis, who wants to do it right first time.

Whilst I'm here. Are the principles for floor tile the same as walls. What advise would you give. I forget the size of the tiles, perhaps 500x 500.
ta

OP
G

GoneGuy

This is the tape/scrim. It must be alkaline resistant tape

745E8704-0704-41C1-97C2-9BCB3680527D.png

Reply to Tiling over plywood substrate in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock