Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling over floorboards in bathroom in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Australia
J

J_c

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi -- I'm a competent DIYer but new to tile and looking for a little advice. I'm renovating the bathroom at my new place as when I moved in it was in a horrid state -- water damage everywhere, blown plaster, leaky soil pipe etc. I've ripped out everything back to the bare floorboards and capped all pipes; now I'm looking to tile the floor so I can install a new bath, sinks, loo etc.

My question is about how to tile a suspended timber floor. It's square edged rather than t&g, if that's important, and it's generally in good nick but a bit uneven and damaged in places, and I understand that the natural movement in timber floors causes serious problems for tiles. Would the best thing to do be to remove it and replace with 22mm plywood, then add a waterproof backing board over that before tile? Or should I leave the floorboards in place and put plywood then backing over them?

Any advice would be very welcome; I'd also be grateful if you could offer any tips or direct me to a step-by-step guide to this kind of flooring. I'm generally good at this sort of thing but, as I say, I'm new to it and looking to do a good job.

Thanks for running such a helpful forum! Jim

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As you have taken everything out I would remove the floor boards, add some extra noggins between the joists to reduce any deflection, board the floor with 22 mm ply but prime the underside an edges of the ply first, then fix some 6mm cement board to the surface of the ply, fix it with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and screws, this will give you the perfect surface to tile too...!

OP
J

J_c

Lovely, thank you! Would hardie backer be the normal choice for 6mm cement board? And while I have you -- what would you recommend I use to prime the underside and edges of the ply?

OP
J

J_c

Excellent, cheers. And a dumb question -- when Andy says prime the underside of the plywood, is that the side that contacts the joists or the side that contacts the hardiebacker?

If it all turns out ok, I'll get back to this thread with photos and let you know how it turned out ----

Reply to Tiling over floorboards in bathroom in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock