Discuss Tiling over a wooden floor in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Joana

Hi guys, I am new to this forum .Me and my partner Ian are renovating a property currently and have some questions about tiling as we are trying to do this between us. The make up of the floor is as follows : dpm / cement / 40-50 cm gap (not much crawling space at the solumn of the house!) / floor joist at about 50 cm centers / treated wooden floors all over the house , 2 cm thick, t&g. We have used hardie backing board of 6 mm directly on the wooden floors. Ian used torque screws. I was hoping that the backing board and screws will stiffen the structure of the floor but no such luck. I can see the floors moving/bending slightly when Ian walks over the hardie board. Should I use ultra or extra flexible tile adhesive in this case ? What would you recommend for such a floor ? I would not like to take a chance, go ahead and tile, and find later that I've used the wrong product. Thanks . Joana

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did you stick the Hardie down with tile adhesive as well as screwing it down..?

Last edited:
B

Bill

You needed to secure the floor joists to the concrete base so that they do not bounce when walked on.

One support every metre along the joists would have helped.

J

Joana

No , just torque screws, every 3 inches or so I believe Ian places them. Quite a few screws on one board. Is that enough ? I must admit this is something totally new to us. I've tiled before but on concrete direct.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sticking the Hardie down as well as using screws will help to fill any voids and make it more secure..

J

Joana

The floor joists are running through the house but they are partly independent from the concrete they run through the brick walls 50 cm above the concrete. Here and there the joists are supported by a small brick wall , non load bearing , rising from concrete to just under the wooden floors. Of course I punctured some of these small walls only between the joists to create passages for crawling in below, for insulation, Plummer work and future inspections.

J

Joana

How much adhesive would a hardie backing board use before glued on the wooden floor ? 2 mm or so ? And should I glue directly on the wooden floors the hardie board ? Wait to dry and tile directly on that.

B

Bill

The floor joists are running through the house but they are partly independent from the concrete they run through the brick walls 50 cm above the concrete. Here and there the joists are supported by a small brick wall , non load bearing , rising from concrete to just under the wooden floors. Of course I punctured some of these small walls only between the joists to create passages for crawling in below, for insulation, Plummer work and future inspections.
Yes, but if the joists are bouncing when walked on then you should have supported them better. Another way is to add thicker layers ontop of the T&G flooring but that could still be a problem.

B

Bill

How much adhesive would a hardie backing board use before glued on the wooden floor ? 2 mm or so ? And should I glue directly on the wooden floors the hardie board ? Wait to dry and tile directly on that.
The tile adhesive does not resolve the problem of deflection, it only fills voids under the Hardie and between the T&G flooring.

B

Bill

Can you still get under your floor?

If so, go and add some more supports between the bottom of the joist and the concrete base, this will stop the deflection.

J

Joana

I understand that. The floors themselves are reasonably solid, not a problem. It's the joists that seem to make the floor a bit bouncy. If we tile on these floors with hardie board , will it crack eventually ? Underfloor reinforcement for the joists would be almost impossible as there is very little space and what we have is already required for a 4" waste pipe through the floors , pipe work, insulation , inspection hatches and so on.

J

Joana

We will have another look tomorrow, it's a bit of a nightmare down there ...might be able to get something really small in. Like half bricks and mortar to go just in below the joist

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Joana sounds a similar construction to part of my property and all the friendly spiders. I strengthened the joists from above with extra cross braces, some steel straps (some areas were cut for the brick access ways and some pipe work) and a 25mm ply on top glued and screwed. The floor movements were very bouncy, and noisy in the past.
[DIy'er]

Reply to Tiling over a wooden floor in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks