Discuss Tiling or Plastering course 1st? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

chris.v

hey, this is my dilemma....

I have been redundant recently and see this as the ideal time to get re-trained for a new career, i have money to either do a 6 week Tiling course or a 6 week Plastering course but i cannot decide what one to do? i want to do a course for one of the trades now and do the other at a later date so i eventually can be very good at both.

what will be easier to pick up and be better at over the 6 weeks?

what one would allow me to get more business over the 1st 6 months or so?

thanks

D

Deleted member 9966

there's no way you could pick up all the knowledge you will need to become a quality tiler in 6 weeks Chris. it will stand you in good stead, but it won't teach you everything about every situation you will come across. I cannot comment about plastering courses but there are members of this forum who are plasterers as well and they will be able to give you a better idea.

you also need to consider the business aspects. having the enthusiasm to re-train is great, but in the current economic climate, you need to carefully consider how quickly your business will pick up.

C

chris.v

much appreciated GirlRacerRed, i know that it will take alot longer than 6 weeks to learn and gain experience of either trade, was wondering which is the best route to go down 1st? I know these things take alot of time, hard work and commitment to achieve. Im 24 years old, i left school with basic qualifications but in 8 years i have a marine engineering aprenticeship behind me wiv NVQ level 2 & 3 qualifications, I have been a team leader and manager. have sucessfully started and run a business for 2 years also. ive taken risks in the past to acomplish all this and am willing to take another one in going in this direction.

D

Deleted member 9966

as a human resources manager, my question to you Chris, is why on earth do you want to leave behind your marine engineering apprenticeship in favour of tiling and plastering? no offence to my fellow members, but you have a seriously strong apprenticeship that puts you in a rare market - a youngster with an interest/skills in engineering. most 16-24 year olds just want to be professional footballers or contestants on Big Brother.

you want to know which trade would be easiest to pick up and start running a business with. I don't think either will be easy. and I don't think any member of this forum would be able to give you a definitive answer to help you make your choice. many of the tilers on here have struggled during the past 18 months, and some of the tilers are also multi skilled in things like plastering and plumbing.

it's going to be a tough decision for you to make. we'll be here to offer you the pro's and con's :yesnod:

C

chris.v

lol if i was good enough at football i would have gone down that road for a profession definetly.

Engineering sounds better than it is trust me, spending 8 years working in tight spaces on ships under engines, working either in the heat of the summer in overalls or in the freezing winter in an engine room that sits below the water line at minus 4-5c.
Getting up to a job you hate 5 or 6 days a week knowing that you will be doing this or simular for another 40 odd years doesnt appeal to me one bit.

I want to eventually and obviously know that it wont be no time soon is run my own business in the building industry with people working for me. I have very high ambitions and working in the marine industry i have made good friends in plumbing and electronics as well as a brother who is a carpenter and a best mate who is a bricklayer.

I have definetly got alot of thinking and studying to do so apreciate your comments GirlRacer.

D

Deleted member 9966

I fully understand where you are coming from regarding hating your job Chris. I have been there myself in the past. It's just that I work for a manufacturing plant and I struggle to recruit quality apprenticeship trained craftsmen, technicians and engineers, because engineering is not a cool profession anymore.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision. :yesnod:

Reply to Tiling or Plastering course 1st? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks