Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling onto ply in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys,

OK, I know you shouldn't tile onto ply if avoided, in bathrooms especially, but..

Got a job to do a small amount of tile behind the end of a 'free standing' bath and a sink/toilet below window height. The builders/plumber that prepped the area used ply to box the area. I am going to have to build out the bathroom end anyway so could us MR ply there so it is just behind the sink/toilet.

Given it is not actually in a shower area (there is not a shower in the room) would you just tile it and have done or take it all of and MR plasterboard it ?

If you tile the ply then should you use a bal primer or equivalent ?

Cheers.

Russ

C

Colour Republic

What thickness ply was it?

Can you not clad in backer boards if you are thinking of changing to WBP ply anyway?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would clad it with cement boards, insulation boards or even plaster board if possible....much better surface to tile to.

C

Colour Republic

If it's not getting wet then MR plasterboard is fine. If the ply is thin i'd be tempted to remove it and just go straight on with the plsterboard. Or better still a 12.5mm tile backer board.

C

Colour Republic

nah i'd want it to be at least 15mm. To be honest I just don't like the stuff in a humid environment, but if it's a small area and well fixed then I would take the risk at 15mm plus. 9mm ply, not a chance

OP
O
Reaction score
nah i'd want it to be at least 15mm. To be honest I just don't like the stuff in a humid environment, but if it's a small area and well fixed then I would take the risk at 15mm plus. 9mm ply, not a chance
OK, thanks a lot for the advice. Will find out depth and deal with accordingly. Cheers.

Reaction score
Even if the ply is of sufficient size and you're happy to tile to it you'd be best to take it off and prime the edges and faces you don't see as well as the ones receiving the tiles. You want to stop moisture ingress from every angle.

K

KateJ

Shouldv'e read this before today. My joiner has just put donw 18mm ply for me to tile onto.... Site was offline at citical moment...!!!

Reply to Tiling onto ply in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock