Discuss tiling onto old lime plaster? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

user123

All I have ever been told about lime is that you can't paint on top of it, not with anything else but lime anyhow, it would throw it off.

Now I have just been asked by a mosaic friend if it is possible to mosaic onto old lime plaster walls (external) - over to you - any ideas?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
it would need to be well and truly sound. Most old lime plasters and renders I have come across are loose and not particularly strong. I am not sure you would be able to use a cement based adhesive either. I know that you are not supposed to repoint a wall built with Lime mortar using cement based mortar cos the cement is much too hard and does not allow the mortar joints to "breathe"
I wonder if you could make your own Lime based adhesive using burnt and slaked lime......that could make a really interesting project

W

White Room

All depends how stable the lime is, I would imagine this is a very old property and to start a general tap on the render to find out if it's hollow or still solid and depending how flat it is.

It could also be a lime with a sand/cement render.

U

user123

it would need to be well and truly sound. Most old lime plasters and renders I have come across are loose and not particularly strong. I am not sure you would be able to use a cement based adhesive either. I know that you are not supposed to repoint a wall built with Lime mortar using cement based mortar cos the cement is much too hard and does not allow the mortar joints to "breathe"
I wonder if you could make your own Lime based adhesive using burnt and slaked lime......that could make a really interesting project

All depends how stable the lime is, I would imagine this is a very old property and to start a general tap on the render to find out if it's hollow or still solid and depending how flat it is.

It could also be a lime with a sand/cement render.

It would be interesting wouldn't it, but it won't be my project, unless it turns into it, because the mosaic artist who asked me might not be able to do it. I did get the impression by the short message that indeed it is an ancient property. I will have a conversation with her about it tomorrow afternoon, she is in America, don't know how she is connected to this UK project.

D

doug boardley

I'd say not G, unlike normal sand/cement render, lime mortar readily absorbs moisture then expunges/wicks it out slowly, not sure I'd like that process happening behind something I'd tiled tbh.

Reply to tiling onto old lime plaster? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks