Discuss Tiling On Ufh? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DriftFactory

Hi All,

I'm new on here, just started advertising to do Tiling and quickly found myself in deep water. I'm a Carpenter/Joiner by trade, so over the years iv done tones of Kitchens and Bathrooms and quite a few big floor areas too, but the first few jobs Iv been to see are pretty big, ones a Collage Kitchen and Dining hall, 420sq meters of flooring and 185sq meters of walls..

The second job is the one I need help with, some tiler has already been in and laid about 40sq meters, there's another 100 meters to do. 600mm sq porcelain tiles.
The tiles have been laid directly on top of the underfloor heating pipes and polystyrene base, there's no screed and no membrane. Guessing this will not be ok?

Iv never tiled on to this type of UFH without a screed, and Iv never used Ditra, I'm guessing it's a good idea to use Ditra, but should it be fixed down at all? Glued perhaps?
Also some advise on expansion joints/strips would be good too, never used them before

Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated. :)

Kind regards
Dale

D

DriftFactory

I havnt stared it, went to see it Saturday, stalling on putting a price in to do some research.

I presumed the poly stuff has been bonded down, it was done by a professional wet UFH company, it's around 1 or 2 million£ flat so they've spent the money and had it done properly, and it does look very neatly done.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

First thing I would do is get the tile fixing specification from the underfloor heating manufacturer, next I would cross reference it with mapei technical or Bal technical or Glynn from tile master to see if they can offer you a solution to tile over the insulation , my guess would be a minimum specification of levelling compound then an anti fracture mat and then tiled with an c2ft s2 adhesive but that would need confirmation from whatever brand of adhesive you decide to use

D

DriftFactory

Excellent, I'll do just that. I was so flabagasted with the building and the size of the job that I didn't even pay attention the the brand of UFH.
All the tiles, adhesive and grout is there already.
The tiles already laid have been very well done, flat as a pancake, the customer was more than happy with them. The bed was at least half inch though, must be ripping through the adhesive.

L

LM

Dale get a pro in for this, someone in London, I'm sure Gary could steer you on this. This is not a job for someone who is not an experienced professional tiler. It'll work out cheaper in the long run! :)

D

DriftFactory

Gary, the entire flat has the UFH. The 40sqm has been laid directly on top of the pipes.

Lee, I can tile pretty well, I'm not going to get someone else in, just need advice on what to do with the subfloor.

Martyn, the customer said the tilers wife has given birth 2months premature so he's up'd and gone, whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

O

Old Mod

As Gary says, contact the adhesive manufacturers tech dept, depending on who it is, they may do a site visit and give u further guidance Dale.

D

DriftFactory

Just to update this, the UFH is officially endorsed to tile directly on to by Mapei.. I'm going to pass on this job, can smell a rat somewhere and think it may end up being more hassle than it's worth. The client has said they'll pay £**sqm cash if anyone wants the job.. Job is in Weighbridge Surrey, KT13. If anyone wants it, drop me a pm and I'll send you the clients number.

Price removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J Sid

water ufh in screed not electric
Unfortunately Dale, prices are not permitted in an open forum.
You weren't to know, so no problem.
There are places where prices can be discussed once you are accepted into the 'Tilers forum Arms' this is a private forum for Proffesional fixers only.
Which, when you fulfill the entry requirements, you'll be accepted in to.
Have a look at this.

How Do I Gain Entry To The TilersForums Arms (Professional Tiling Forum)?
bit slow there @3_fall :) I thought a shocking low price considering the risk involved:(

Reply to Tiling On Ufh? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks