Discuss Tiling on to old lime plaster in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,
I'll be moving in to my first house soon which was built in 1890 from stone. The bathroom is currently downstairs in an extension. Looking to move this upstairs in to the small bedroom.
The problem is that the internal walls are lime plaster. How do I go about tiling them?
I've read about the need for them to breathe and no products like cement to be near them.
I've heard you can tile with lime adhesive, but does a certain type of tile need to be used? The other option I see is studding these walls then using cement board on top, allowing airflow behind. Unfortunately, it's a tiny room so need to keep the space if poss.
Any help would be great, cheers

Reaction score
If it's the original lime plaster it's nearly 130 years old,so it may be wiser to take it back to brick & start with a blank canvass if you do go back to brick don't forget to wear a respirator mask for the dust Jack & make sure there's plenty of ventilation also.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If room is tight and you aim to remove the existing lime plaster, you could render the stone walls with a 1:1 :6 cement ,lime, sand mix and tile onto this.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Or for a quicker drying time you could go with something like limerite renovating plaster.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Jack, if its sand lime mortar and its listed you need to replace with the same, if its sand lime mortar and its not listed, jnock off board and tile

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score

Reply to Tiling on to old lime plaster in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks