Discuss Tiling on quarry tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Welsh_red

I've always taken tiles off before tiling but my brother's father in law has asked me to tile his hallway before Christmas . For whatever reason he doesn't want the tiles pulled up and has asked me to tile over them .

Their old red quarry tiles , their incredibly solid on the ground . I've never gone over tiles before so this is new to me

My thinking is run a Sander over the quarry tiles to give a bit of key then SBR the whole floor ,let it thouroghly dry then tile over it .

What do you guys think ?

R

Rookery

Often and in older houses, quarries used to be laid on earth or sand so no solid bed. However, if you're happy with the integrity of them I would just clean, dry and paint a cement/sbr slurry coat on them and tile once dry. I wouldn't sand them.

L

LM

If they’re sound and solid then simply degrease them and use a primer such as Ardex P4 or equivalent and tile away.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If they are butt jointed they are almost certainly laid on a wet screed with a cement slurry.. Not a problem to tile over providing they are solid and sound..

Reply to Tiling on quarry tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks