Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Tiling job issue question in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Ash205

Ash205 New to TilersForums.co.uk

Morning all,
    Have a question for the professionals out there
    Just had my bathroom refurbished and everything was taken back down to brick etc , however whilst inspecting the work some of the tiling just looks really badly done
    Now the question is am I being to picky or is this a bad job ? According to the company owners who did the job the work is within industry standards ?!

92058E3A-28E4-4D50-8D67-1FFFF71B3C3A.jpeg 61CA1F39-BD43-4B86-8AD6-461CA9609F0D.jpeg D7378FEB-2D28-4BF0-A9ED-FC10928FF857.jpeg 4941905C-9406-4FC9-8199-F9240F141DAA.jpeg 3AF3045F-A623-4973-BD9E-BB84B650D55C.jpeg 32120E37-9D2C-441F-8DAE-893FF6B7482D.jpeg 9CF50872-AF80-4C3A-A675-DFFEF514CBF0.jpeg

2. timeless john

timeless john Moderator - trainee Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Not acceptable!
    Could hang my coat on some of those.
    Get them back - problem is if they’ve left the aesthetics like that what’s behind the view?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Call their bluff ask them for a copy of the industry standards they are referring to because that lippage clearly isn't with British standards which is 1mm between tiles with grout joints of 3mm or less .

• Like Like x 1
  4. jcrtiling

Also should be a soft joint at the ceiling either caulk or silicone . Are the vertical corners grouted or siliconed .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Waluigi

Waluigi Guest

Back to brick then I’d hazard a guess that a board was dot and dabbed on? This is the perfect surface to get flat and Plumb so the tiling should be absolutely spot on which this is far from.

Is there any reason the whole bathroom was finished before this poor tiling was picked up on?

Shame it wasn’t noted sooner as it would’ve been easier to put a halt to the tiling works so a professional could be brought in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andy Rhodes

Andy Rhodes Active Member

Good heavens & i'm being polite, if that's what they pass off as acceptable & within BS their on crack get em back to rectify their mistakes if take em to court don't call their buff go in hard & dont take no for answer

• Like Like x 2
  7. Paul C.

Paul C. Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

No way is it. The lipping between tiles should be no more than 1mm. It looks like you have at least 2mm there in some places. Totally unacceptable. The standards they should be working to are BS5385 Part 1. Not some fictional standards they have plucked out of a magical unicorns bum:

"7.1.9.2 Across joints
    There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints (commonly known as "lipping") and the maximum deviation between tile surfaces either side of the joint, including movement joints, should be as follows.
    a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.
    b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2mm."

You have to get them back and give them the opportunity to correct their work. If they refuse, well, we'll have to cross that bridge if/when it comes to it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andy Rhodes

if they refuse it's a no brainer,there are no bridges to cross Paul it all there in the pictures bang to right & the worsed part about they've prepared the walls apparently would hate to see the work if they hadn't touched them,legal action all the way

9. Andystiletiling

Andystiletiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Not acceptable by a long way, and for those that claim leveling clips have no place in tiling........!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

..and just to point out that it might actually be WITHIN BS5385 tolerances.
    1mm lippage is a crazy amount on a rectified edge and BS5385 should be revised to 0.1mm in my opinion.

I reckon if you actually measure the lips in the photos they are under 1mm (just)

No excuse for such a shocking job, but they may use it as an excuse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Andy Rhodes

Shouldn't have to use tiling clips on those tiles there only 600 x 300 by the looks of them in the pictures, 600 x 300 are the new 6 x 6 it's just very poor quality of work demonstrated by a fixer who excuse, it's been done to BS standards I think this person's definition of BS is standing for Bull rubbish

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Andy Rhodes

sorry only just seen Impish comments, maybe & again I'm going to say it get an independent report carried out

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andystiletiling

Andystiletiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

No not essential to use clips but would have made for a dam sight better job with them...

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

How someone can grout that and walk away is beyond me.
    Have they no shame?!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. jcrtiling

I will use clips on rectified tiles all day long as it help protect the edges during installation

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1