Discuss Tiling inside dormer cheek with no floor support in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AlexJones

Hi

Guessing this has been covered many times before but wasn’t sure what to search on. I have a dormer cheek side in my loft bathroom I’m building which follows the sloped roof. I was going to just plaster it but I was thinking of tiling instead.

Questions:
If tiling how would I support the tiles on the wall as it angles upwards - as there is no floor to start from do I construct some sort of timber support to hold them as I lay them (using porcelain tiles 750 x 350mm).

Where the tiles meet the sloped roof edge of the ceiling - is it best to lay tiles first with say a corner trim to act as a stop bead for plasterer to skim to, or skim ceiling first then lay tiles with a trim? I want a clean straight edge where the tiles and ceiling meet.

B0E40654-2628-4CD4-8BF6-0082375C2BC0.jpeg

O

Old Mod

Ceilings are flat, the sloped ceiling to the right of the right side dorma cheek is a ‘skeiling’

So as I understand it, you want to tile dorma cheek, but not the skeiling, is that right?
So the tiles would not wrap around to the right

A

AlexJones

Yes that’s right the skeiling would be plastered and not tiled - just the cheek to be tiled. Was wondering how to support the tiles on the cheek side as you wouldn’t be starting from a floor or base for them rest on. Also wanted to know about the edging from the cheek side to the skeiling side when the plasterer plasters to - do is lay plater beading and tile to the that or corner tile trim and the plasterer plasters to that.

O

Old Mod

Yeah just wanted to be clear on your intentions that’s all.
Given opportunity I’d always want plasterer to work to my finished Tiling. I know I can give them a straight line, same can’t be said of plasterers unfortunately.
To support tiles, probably easiest way would be to miss Off bottom piece and batten cheek and tile. When set, remove batten and place final cut in.
Levelling clips would hold last piece up, or find something to prop it.
There are other ways, but from a diy perspective I feel that’s be simplest.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Think l would use a metal tile trim (well fixed) to support tile at dormer cheek, and get plasterer to finish to this. If using the batten support method If your raking cuts have a slight back bevel then plaster to tile edge.

Reply to Tiling inside dormer cheek with no floor support in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks