• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss tiling directly on to brick work question in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

W

what

Is there any reason why you cant tile directly onto brickwork if you use plenty of good adhesive?
I have a shallow brick fireplace recess which i am preparing for a wood burning stove
It measures about 110cm H 65cm W and 30cm D.
I was considering just using cement board but i have some smart 10mm calibrated slate floor tiles left over from the kitchen which I have used for the hearth and i would also like to slap onto the recess bricks.
The brickwork is crappy but stable but i have cleaned it well and primed with mapei primer G.
I need to keep the thickness shallow because of the 30cm depth restriction so don’t want to tile onto dot dabbed cement board if i don’t need to.
Any opinions!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
The only reason we don't do it is 'cos they are normally all over the place and by no means flat. If you think you can get them level without exceeding the max bed depth of your chosen adhesive then I can't see any reason why not.

OP
F

Flintstone

6mm no more ply board bedded right back to the brick, that’s the easiest way to do this. I’m sure your not struggling for 6mm!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have thought that. Need cleaning a bit if they're old. Perhaps priming. Perhaps just washing and de-greasing and waiting to dry.

Suction on the adhesive (as in the wall taking water out quicker than usual) change anything? Maybe need to add a bit more water when mixing to compensate or something?

OP
Q

Qwerty

When I tile to brick I like to use SBR to prime it...... it seems to consolidate the surface better than a standard acrylic primer. Give it a good brush down first then prime

OP
J

Just Rizzle

years ago tilers would of tiled direct on to the bricks using a sand and lime bed
soak the walls with water and the tiles also mix up a sand and lime mix of 3/1 spread the wall like a render back butter the tiles and apply tiles in to wet render. thats how it used to be done

OP
F

Flintstone

7C7B807B-481F-431D-B85E-8B1165626253.jpeg
then off home for some bread and drippin’ and a bath

Profix

TF
Reaction score
years ago tilers would of tiled direct on to the bricks using a sand and lime bed
soak the walls with water and the tiles also mix up a sand and lime mix of 3/1 spread the wall like a render back butter the tiles and apply tiles in to wet render. thats how it used to be done
Showing your age now.

Reply to tiling directly on to brick work question in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer