Discuss Tiling Cscs Cards - Blue Card Nvq Level 2 For Domestic Jobs Soon in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

The D

Imo the cscs card as it stands means nothing.
You don't need to be a qualified tiler to obtain one so whats the point of enforcing it into the domestic market.
You can obtain a card that will last for one year and when it needs to be renewed you will need to have an level 2 NVQ. this is how we get a "qualified" workforce.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am with Deano on this one !
I don't have a card as we dont do site work but for the cost and if it was necessary I'd get one.
If we can get our trade regulated and if NVQ level 2 is a requirement then it's a start. Even in the domestic market it would go some way to raise the standard of tiling.
IMO just because you don't need them shouldn't be a reason for not having to achieve a level of competence .
My son earned his Level 2 a few years ago and they gave me mine for being there and still managing to get up and down off the floor.

Reaction score
Booked in for an operatives safety test AGAIN ! for tomorrow, i haven't done any revision for it just going to have a go !, anyone got any advise or pointers? my old test has run -out apparently ......

S

Stocks Tiles

I never read up for my test, to be honest it's common sense and if you can't pass it on that then you shouldn't be on site haha

M

m3fitter

Putting the record straight: IT WILL APPLY TO EVERYONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE DOMESTIC OR IN THE CONTRACTOR ARENA Please read
It started with The 'big boys' ( Principal contractors ) insisting on SMAS or a collating accreditation company to ensure they keep their ISO awarded accreditation and for insurance purposes ( SAFETY MANAGEMENT ADVISORY SERVICES ) they collate all of your qualifications, HSE certificates, company policies in regard to training matrix for quality and health and safety.
and now it is filtering through to the smaller contractors, and therefore sub contractors and they mean to try and govern the domestic market as well for these guidelines, to ensure safety and quality assurance. Insurance companies are beginning to take this into consideration and asking if the said trade is qualified, and proof required
Green labourers cards will not get you on site as a tiler or any other trade other than labourer, blue skilled only NVQ2 under these new guidelines.
Insurance companies will not insure your trade unless you are NVQ2 within the near future
On every job, 1 tiler is required to be of supervisory level SMSTS and or Gold card
On every job 1 tiler is required to be SSSST qualified.
HMRC checked UTR and NI, CIS registered

This might look like a load of *!?££*! but in reality, will ensure our industry is not flooded with cowboys, ensure health and safety guidelines are adhered to, and you are fully insured to undertake that project for peace of mind to the client.
These companies like Broken Link Removed will collate all of your professional information, and your prospective client will insist you are a member, as they do not have the resouces to check and re check your details. Only Accredited persons / companies will get a look in on potential tenders in the future, the windows of opportunity are getting less and less for non qualified trade persons, and soon they will not be able to insure themselves in their given trade unless NVQ standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

Yet ANYONE can fit or repair a flat roof whether EPDM or felt. I'm sure at some point our trade will be regulated, but believe me, there are plenty of bigger fish and worse cowboys to target before us tilers. How many "cowboy builder" cases do we all see on TV where bad general building/ roofing puts people's lives and livelihoods at risk. We don't hear of many tilers like that. Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the big trades will be hit before we are. Where do they stop? Painters & decorators next? Not for quite a while I think

M

m3fitter

you used to be able to, they have discontinued the card, you can obtain a labourers card, but this card now involves a labourers 5 day course, aswell as HSE CITB ! they're making it harder for trades to gain access to site without the correct qualifications, due to their insurances and considerate construction scheme

M

m3fitter

Yet ANYONE can fit or repair a flat roof whether EPDM or felt. I'm sure at some point our trade will be regulated, but believe me, there are plenty of bigger fish and worse cowboys to target before us tilers. How many "cowboy builder" cases do we all see on TV where bad general building/ roofing puts people's lives and livelihoods at risk. We don't hear of many tilers like that. Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the big trades will be hit before we are. Where do they stop? Painters & decorators next? Not for quite a while I think

Its happening now, under the considerate construction scheme, and certain companies insisting on blue card nvq2 on their profession, hence the amount of training schools, courses advertised now to accommodate this, try booking a course, there's a long wait for many courses now.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As long as customers keep going for the cheapest cash job quote then you ain't going to change anything in the domestic market. ...simple as that !!

T

Time's Ran Out

If its regulated and proficiency is demanded then costs will increase as skilled trades are required - so a win/win situation.
Instead of complaining about cowboys, as professional tradespeople we should support these initiatives.

M

m3fitter

I've got my head around it now, to begin with I kicked up, but I have found that by being accredited or even going through the process on the way to being accreddited, having processes, NVQ qualifications, its opening up new avenues and to be honest, is giving us an advantage ie: one large high end developer has preferred contractors that are vetted by SMAS, and the other tenders are just price comparisons, and will never be accepted, that was from the horses mouth

T

The D

its not going to go away and its only going to get harder to get qualified as all the loop holes are exposed and closed. there is always a way to make Joe public change there ways, how many of us will have major electrical work done on our house without that bit of paper to say it was done correctly. It will be the same for all trades in the end and i am happy about that.

Reply to Tiling Cscs Cards - Blue Card Nvq Level 2 For Domestic Jobs Soon in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks