Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling concrete floor and UF heating in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Right if you look at next paragraph down that is what I challenged them on. Saying do not prime surfaces to be tiled on . I challenged them and they ok not a problem . So I wouldn't rely on that . I've not finished bal tech will get a call from Mr pain in the arse from salisbury
I know first hand priming certain surfaces using that https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ reduces the bond strength considerably.

D

Dumbo

This is taken from there pdf, the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is bal single part fast flex, an https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ I use all the time on wooden substrates with cement boards...

View attachment 101994
So just had a chat with bal tech and they say no need to from their point of view but you could to slow the porosity of the board but you should check with the manufacturer . The guy was very non committal and ambiguous but at no point did he say do not do it . I also asked if it would be detrimental to the bond strength and he said no . I dont know if bal board is a lightweight board , i know it not cementitous but they recomend priming with apd

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So just had a chat with bal tech and they say no need to from their point of view but you could to slow the porosity of the board but you should check with the manufacturer . The guy was very non committal and ambiguous but at no point did he say do not do it . I also asked if it would be detrimental to the bond strength and he said no . I dont know if bal board is a lightweight board , i know it not cementitous but they recomend priming with apd
Don't believe you...!

Do you have photographic evidence of you on the phone to them, holding a copy of today's news paper, along with a tape recording of the conversation....!...:cool:

Joking a part, if you had a failure on a job and primed the boards, I can guarantee, no, hang on , I can 25 year guarantee bal will blame that as it says in the pdf do NOT prime the board's...

Last edited:
D

Dumbo

Yes you are right . But to be honest if was to have a failure I wouldn't bother contacting anybody well not so since my dealings with bal when they told the grey colour grout i had was in their parameters for limestone . They are just dishonest the lot of them

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If the hollow areas are small and isolated, you could cut-out / core the insulation and pour in some slc mixed with SBR, which should fill in any voids.

Reply to Tiling concrete floor and UF heating in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock