Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling at bathroom door not level, causing threshold issues in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
H

Homeowner78

Please checkout the following advertisement.
At a basic level am I right to hold them to account over the concealed damage? To me that is the key issue. How can I trust them to do anything else?

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

You’ve got £580 in trust!
Advise him of what you require doing to bring the job up to a level of acceptance, value what he will not amend, and pay him the difference.
I’ve not been paid by customers before and it’s not a pleasant experience for either party - All warranties are null and void and some actually do the damage themselves to get out of paying that final amount ( was going to say £580.00 but that would have been cheeky) so claims and counter claims can prolong the stress!

OP
H

Homeowner78

Update, I had a very gracious call from a Senior Manager at the bathroom goods head office. She had seen the photos and email and agreed that it was not up to scratch and apologised for the experience.

She explained that they don’t employ the fitters, only recommending people they know who are qualified plumbers etc, but don’t follow up on the quality of their work in other areas.

That being said, she said that we were still her customer that had spent £3000 directly with them and had a bad experience. So she offered to call the fitter they use to do all their showroom work and she has used personally. She would explain to him the situation and he would come out to quote for making all good. She hoped it would even still come in on or below budget for us.

I am really delighted by this level of customer service after the last few days of stress.

I have not heard from the original fitter today and the rubbish is still outside the house, so I am not sure what his plans are, but as far as I am concerned he is fired as I explained on Friday to him.

I am happy to leave it at that and consider the case closed. I don’t intend to publicly shame him, or discredit him. I just want a finished bathroom. If he wants to take it further that is up to him, but I assume he won’t want to risk the wrath of the bathroom merchants.

I would like to thank you all for your help and advise over the last 24 hours as you have helped me and my family negotiate a very stressful situation.

Many thanks to all and I will update in a week or so when the job is done.

OP
W

WetSaw

Unless the rubbish clearance was agreed in writing and part of the original quote it's unlikely he would have cleared it anyway as you need a license to transport rubbish and the council don't make it easy to dispose of .

OP
H

Homeowner78

Unless the rubbish clearance was agreed in writing and part of the original quote it's unlikely he would have cleared it anyway as you need a license to transport rubbish and the council don't make it easy to dispose of .

He has been telling us for the last week about a certificate he needs to take it away and kept promising to do it the next day. The last I heard he had been to the recycling centre and they told him he could bring it on anyway. Although he told me on a Friday night he wouldn’t remove it to he got paid.

Either way I am going to start removing it myself tonight and remove his opportunity to do it.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You need to be careful.
If you get someone in the complete the job with giving the original fitter the opportunity to put it right he would be more than entitled to take you to the small claims court to get the money thats owed him.

OP
H

Homeowner78

You need to be careful.
If you get someone in the complete the job with giving the original fitter the opportunity to put it right he would be more than entitled to take you to the small claims court to get the money thats owed him.

Yes that thought does concern me somewhat. The whole thing is terribly stressing. However he has had several chances to put it right since he finished last Wednesday.

More importantly he has that time to apologise and never done it.

However the fact that there was concealed damage is the main thing for me, so why should I let someone put it right who’s team has already proven untrustworthy.

Also of the £580 remaining, he still has the cost/time of removing all the waste, re-working the issues, buying new ceiling panels and materials, hiring a joiner to fix the door frame, etc. In addition he is over a week late in finishing, was abusive on the phone to me on Friday night, etc.

If he wants to go that route then I can’t stop him. I have documented everything as I have went, so am happy to defend my actions as appropriate.

At the end of the day, even if he made a successful claim, he would still be wrong.

A lesson I learned a long time ago is that even if the law is on your side, or the majority agrees with you, it doesn’t make you right.

A bit philosophical I know, but the truth about life is that there are more important things than money, status or freedom.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Seems to me no matter what this guy does you will never be happy with it..

A fair outcome to this can only be something you both agree on, then move on and chaulk it down to experience..!

OP
H

Homeowner78

Issues still coming out of the woodwork on this one, the toilet seat hasn’t been stable since it was fitted. Got a spanner from the bathroom merchant and took it of today to find this.

One side fitted with a plastic compression fitting (with the top washer missing) and the other side with a throughhole fitting stuck into the hold, with no hope of ever being stable.

I can only assume he broke or lost the right hand side compression fitting and tried to hide this issue as well.

3E400367-E9FA-429A-B651-6AF655BCE7B8.jpeg

OP
W

well said mate

We have a lot of posts on here similar to this. Asking about one problem then gradually expanding.
It might be better if you can tell the complete story, what concerns you have and what outcome you want to achieve.
Were you happy with the job as it progressed? Did you point out these problems? Has payment been made?

Reply to Tiling at bathroom door not level, causing threshold issues in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock