Discuss Tiling Apprenticeships - Who's Currently Got An Apprentice? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have an apprentice? I see threads quite often where established tilers discourage tiling courses that are not involved in apprenticeships, and even sometimes knock the NVQ system. So wondering if any of those guys, or other tilers, have taken on apprentices or considered taking on any at any point in time.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What area are you in?

I know a dozen around here who would be willing to be a tilers apprentice.

I'm not sure of the financial benefits for a business but at some point you got tax relief or something. If not a grant to help or something.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Christ, what's going on in the world?

What about the guys who are doing courses? I wonder if they ever enquire about and consider apprenticeships?

I

Ian

Tried 3, no one seems to want to work these days. A plumber mate of mine has had an apprentice for 18 months now and he reckons it's one of the worst things he's ever done, to be fair the lad is an absolute clown and just doesn't seem to want to learn, he's had so many chances but, seems hell bent on tossing away a great opportunity

W

White Room

I thought shortly that any employer will need to contribute to a pension even if theres only employed person....

J

J Sid

I think most youngsters are happy to get a girl pregnant, get a free home with beer and *** money, sky telly with a 50" screen, and if they are really ambitious they will knock out another couple of kids and get money for a car and holidays.
Why would they want to work?

L

Lindsay

I'm looking at apprenticeships but not sure of the bonus points for the company are. I'd like to find out so I can try persuade them to take me on as I'm over 25 I think the grants don't apply.

M

MPM

Hi all,
I did my NVQ level 2 at collage they did not offer level 3 at that time. In my year out of 15 students only 2 in my opinion had the potential for a tiling career, what does that say about the future?

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I keep thinking about taking a kid on (got a kid begging at the mo. nice lad, works hard and can be trusted apparently as he works for a mate day to day labouring) but if I'm honest I'm wondering how it would benefit me. Can't seem to find any info on grants etc so is it just the extra pair of hands I'll get out of it? And what should you be paying an apprentice?
It concerns me that I could be training someone up, funding their mistakes and learning, giving them your time/secrets and tips and after all that a couple of years down the line they leave and become your competition!

S

Simon benn Leeds

I keep thinking about taking a kid on (got a kid begging at the mo. nice lad, works hard and can be trusted apparently as he works for a mate day to day labouring) but if I'm honest I'm wondering how it would benefit me. Can't seem to find any info on grants etc so is it just the extra pair of hands I'll get out of it? And what should you be paying an apprentice?
It concerns me that I could be training someone up, funding their mistakes and learning, giving them your time/secrets and tips and after all that a couple of years down the line they leave and become your competition!
It's happened to me a few times, train them up put your time effort and money into them all of a sudden there tilers!..
Won't do it again no loyalty from these youngens now, I'll just take lads on as labourers now and only teach them cutting and grouting. What's the point.
Think it's the same in most trades tbh, train them up look after them and see you later!!..

S

SCCB

Hi there my name is Carl Goulden, I'm a lecturer at South and City College Birmingham, at the moment we have 15 apprentices this year and the number is growing. Some of the threads are true in that to get a good hard working apprentice that wants to learn the trade is hard but they are out there ( I know because we have lots here).
I would urge you to ring our team to discus or they will in some cases come out to you, and I think its a lot more for the funding for an apprentice if he/she is 16-24 years old.
ring
0121 694 5066

or copy and paste this
Apprenticeships Matching Team | South & City College Birmingham

Reply to Tiling Apprenticeships - Who's Currently Got An Apprentice? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks