Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling apprenticeship in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

W

Waluigi

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Well obviously I can't prove any different but very surprised to hear you can pay yourself double what the average nurse or police officer gets paid...and you still need to scrimp on cheap Chinese imports ;):)

The prices I posted aren’t what my day rate is. I didn’t say that. It’s the day rate of a few Tilers I know.

I supply and install complete Bathrooms, my day rate or price work costing is irrelevant to someone starting out in the tile industry.

.......and absolutely I’ll ‘scrimp’ on cheap Chinese bits if they are identical in quality to expensive bits :D

F

Flintstone

Your son is going to spend many many years doing whichever trade he takes up if he is successful in his persuit, it's important it's something he enjoys, money is secondary to that in my opinion as you can earn good money in any trade if you are driven enough and bright enough !

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I put a lad through the apprenticeship scheme for 2 years. In the end I had to ring the college and I’ve for him to be fast tracked to completion as he said all he did was sit there and go through health and safety literature. I still had to pay him on those days so it was starting to tick me off. As an employer it was costing over £1500 a year for him to be there. I had mixed views after and my new lad has just learned on the job and he’s doing well. Hard work and a willingness to listen is all it takes.

O

One Day

Stupid new rules mean you can't just take a 16 or 17 year old on though. They've got to go to fe or govt approved apprenticeship. Keeps the unemployment figures down. Good for business if you're in politics anyway!

W

Waluigi

I put a lad through the apprenticeship scheme for 2 years. In the end I had to ring the college and I’ve for him to be fast tracked to completion as he said all he did was sit there and go through health and safety literature. I still had to pay him on those days so it was starting to tick me off. As an employer it was costing over £1500 a year for him to be there. I had mixed views after and my new lad has just learned on the job and he’s doing well. Hard work and a willingness to listen is all it takes.

My Son is doing carpentry at college. The amount of health and safety is incredible. More work in the class room and less on practical.

Also the vast majority of the kids failed English and Maths so they’re having to retake it at the same time. My son passed Maths and English but he has to sit in the classroom and do the work. There’s nothing else that can be done that day. I’ve already asked.

When I first learnt my trade at college. It was hands on, on day one. I still remember a lot of the stuff I was taught. The Lecturers were all old boys and brilliant at what they did.

B

Blunt Tool

Not allowed to send apprentices to shops for long stands, sky hooks, chocolate maidenheads nothing! Not allowed to swear at them, clip their ear or wind them up. Spend more time in employment courts for discrimination and equality than what it’s worth to not do your own mix up, grouting or carrying!

O

One Day

We've a place in Preston - the tile shop "Roccia" who have built their own training centre in their warehouse and they are matching apprentices with tilers, so they get fully hands-on with real world tiles and materials. Backed and funded by Preston College and it appears that it will be brilliant in that it's away from classroom and more getting mucky.

Reaction score
Waluigi not disagreeing with what you said before you say anything ,your son should be in the workshop been taught carpentry how can he possibly resit an exam he's already passed pointless

W

Waluigi

Yes he should be in the workshop. Unfortunately they all have to be in the lesson learning Maths and English despite my Son already passing his GCSE’s. He doesn’t have to retake the exam, just has to partake in the lessons.

Reply to Tiling apprenticeship in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock