Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Tiling An Uneven Shape Room in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. theandroids

theandroids Active Member

Hi, any tips on how you would tile a room that's not a good shape. I'm laying out tiles but finding the end of the room is causing a huge gap as the walls are not straight. Should I just follow the wall line? I don't see what else I could do. What's the best course of action?

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. pdc

pdc Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Start with a centre line and work out to the walls, either with the grout line on the centre line or the middle of a tile.

3. theandroids

I did that...

4. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Don't go a whole tile off the end wall . If you follow the centre line you will have to cut tiles at either end . No room is perfectly square

5. pdc

pdc Professional Tiler Top Contributor

So try the other option, you can't end up with the same results if you're using the center line or the edge of a tile.

6. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If that's a true representation of the room.
    Find centre point at each end, strike a line between the two marks at either end.
    Then as pdc says, start on or over the line, and as jcr says, don't just go full tile from one end.
    Apply the same principle as above, on the other axis too. It will look perfectly set out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. theandroids

Thanks for the replies guys.

8. Dan

Dan TilersForums.co.uk Est.2006 Staff Member Top Contributor NOT a Tiler

To be honest that shape is as good as a room gets. Tiling one that's more of a triangle is the usual kinda setup. Then you're stuck working out which wall(s) are the most prominent or lead to other rooms etc to judge your degree off center when you've struck your lines etc.

9. theandroids

It's coming together...

10. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Remember to share pics :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2