Discuss Tiling an ensuite floor with old adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Weebisto

View media item 15486
Hi all, my next job is tiling ensuite which has old adhesive still in place. Planning to cement board over and seal prior to tiling but there's disagreement as to whether or not I should remove old adhesive first

Any help appreciated

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Use one of these to get it up..
IMG_20171203_143101.png

O

Old Mod

Yes agreed, actually looking at floor, take up old adhesive and check condition of boards first, they don’t look great.

F

Flintstone

There is a layer of thin ply wood there probably nailed down, should be easy to get that lot up

T

Time's Ran Out

As @callatiler - there is thin plywood nailed to those varnished floorboards.
Take it all up and relay new substrate.
There is a possible sign of woodworm in those exposed boards as well.
I know you had issues on your last bathroom and this forum is here to get advice, but, I am concerned not just for you but the customers that you are hopefully going to get paid off this time and the quality of work your level of experience can provide.

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
Always good to get back to basics, so rip it up :)

You'll only be annoyed with yourself if you get problems further down the line, so a bit of extra work now will give you the confidence to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Reply to Tiling an ensuite floor with old adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks