Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Schluter and U

Discuss Tiling a ply former with ceramic tiles? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Paul R Cox

Paul R Cox Active Member

Hi, my builder has offered to create a former from ply to get over some problems we might have with moulded former. This would go onto 6x2 joists. The kind of tiles I'm looking to use would be the patterned ones that are usually glazed ceramic. If everything is properly supported, would there be any problem with this?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

What issues do you have . Be far better to use a former.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I can 100% guarantee that any former made by a builder using wood will fail.
    100%.
    I would bet everything I own on it.

The tiles are completely irrelevant. If the shower former cannot be used without tiles, then it's not fit for use.

Sorry to be brutal but it's the truth.

Wet trays need to be made properly and even more importantly; installed properly.
    You need someone with a solid track record of installing wet trays to do this.
    Not a builder who is prepared to use ply.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Well, if there was even the tiniest break in the waterproof tanking AT ALL you may find you'll be taking a shower and suddenly find yourself stood on your dining room table with your hands clutched around your most delicate of places.
    Using ply is a mistake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. impish

I am confident that I could make a former out of ply and that it would last, but that's with two considerations:
    1) I have years of experience installing and removing and rectifying wet rooms.
    2) The time and materials involved to create a successful former would cost far more than purchasing a wedi / schluter tray and adapting that, or the floor construction to overcome any problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Classic builder!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Brutal Impish!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. callatiler

callatiler Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

there is a special powder to use when building a wet room tray out of ply it's called gun powder! :rolleyes: Builders eh!

9. antonio

antonio Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

what it means, of ply?
    Excuse my ignorance.
    Layers of wood?

• Like Like x 3
  10. callatiler

Yes Antonio

11. antonio

antonio Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

OMG!!!!
    thanks calla ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. impish

Apologies Paul for the brutal response.

To answer the question a little more professionally:
    Yes, there are many MANY things that can go wrong with wood.
    First alarm bell is the very suggestion by a builder to make a former from wood.
    Now you possibly have an expert there, but the overwhelming chance is he is (with the best of intentions) going to cobble something together.
    Wood is never a good idea because it is not dimensionally stable, it expands and contracts with humidity, moisture and temperature.
    Even if it is waterproofed with a liquid or fabric membrane, it will ultimately fail in a short space of time - (disclaimer) unless this is done by an experienced expert who in 2017 should by now be using newer methods and materials.

If you can explain the problems you foresee with a moulded former, perhaps I can be more helpful?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bathfix Bob

Bathfix Bob Professional Tiler

Maybe the 'builder' is a proper super duper tiler but is just reffered to as a builder.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Localtiler

I once had a builder create a former out of concrete to a linear drain that was stuck up about 10mm. Needless to say, he was soon chopping it out

• Like Like x 1
  15. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I once had a builder not take an hour's lunch break!

I know, amazing right!!??

Lol..... we need a new 'I once had a builder........' thread! The possibilities are endless :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Localtiler

Start one up mate, let's hear those stories, I have loads!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Done already!!!...its in the arms

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Benton

John Benton Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Water and ply do not mix well together, keep them well away from each other!!!! Unless you like open plan living (between floors)

Quite how this wall stayed upright is beyond me. It was 12mm ply that just turned to mush!!!

IMG_0801.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. callatiler

That's shocking

20. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I remember that job John,
    amazing transformation! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Bathfix Bob

Bathfix Bob Professional Tiler

The worst I've seen is tiles fixed straight to untreated MDF in a shower, the bottom row swelled up like that Hedgehog that they had to pop.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Localtiler

I sorted one just before xmas, it was a raised up wet tray, a wooden frame with a piece of mdf on top and a drain grafted in the middle then mosaic. They only realised there was a problem when the shower door started catching the tiles as the mdf had swelled! To top it off the soil pipe was hanging off behind a stud wall and was leaking for 2 years, lovely

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Tilerdurden

Tilerdurden Professional Tiler

Epic FAIL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Tilerdurden

In this day and age with the multitude of high quality materials on the market to make our jobs run so much sweeter and give clients installations longevity why do people still insist on cutting corners and using prehistoric methods which always FAIL EpIClY :fearscream::tearsofjoy: cue music Bob the builder!

25. Localtiler

On this subject I had a builder call me yesterday to book me in for a wet room job, to tank it etc and tile. they have screeded the floor and put a drain and in 'made some fall'.

• Like Like x 1
  26. John Benton

John Benton Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Is the fall away from the drain :confused2:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Localtiler

Probably John! Has done this before a couple of years ago and I made him chop it all out and put a former in so will probably end up the same way

• Like Like x 1
  28. Paul R Cox

Paul R Cox Active Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. After much consideration I've decided to take no chances and go for a regular shower tray!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Tilerdurden

Hope it wasn't the horror stories that out you off!