Discuss Tiling a bath panel ??? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Diydaz

TF
Reaction score
hi guys I’m going to tile my bath panel well I’d like to but not sure how to go about it i was thinking of using tile backer board but the bath is a 1600 and I can only find boards that come in 1200 lengths.......how would you guys approach this ???

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
You can buy boards in 2400 from CTD may have to order the 40mm but it makes the best panels as needs much less framing

B

Blunt Tool

BQ have started selling insulating tile backer boards and even sell a bath panel one but be prepared to pay

W

Waluigi

Topps’ Panel is £47 (Wedi)

Cheaper to buy a 20mm Orbry or Marmox long board I’d imagine.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi guys I’m going to tile my bath panel well I’d like to but not sure how to go about it i was thinking of using tile backer board but the bath is a 1600 and I can only find boards that come in 1200 lengths.......how would you guys approach this ???

Get 2.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’d much rather build and tile my own bath panel than all the hassle of getting an acrylic one fitted spot on when you have to estimate final floor levels etc....

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you have a B&Q warehouse near you, look for Q-board which is normally in the plastering and coving section. The panels are designed for baths with adjustable feet. They're also cheaper and easier to work with.

R

Ruel Miah

Ive always used 9/12/18 ml plyboard.

Does the job. But would depend on how much slack you have to get a finish

No need for fancy fittings in my view.

I just finish this job with 5.5ml ply. Screwed 3 baton Boxes behind to make more rigid.

Turned out as in pic

20180923_182309.jpg

W

Waluigi

instead of the acrylic panels I specify wooden panels. Well it’s MDF with an acrylic coating. Usually consists of a top large panel and a set back plinth. The plinth rides up behind the top panel which not only takes up any irregularities in the floor level but also means that the bath height in relation to the final floor finish is far less important.

These panels shouldn’t be confused with the vinyl wrapped panels which are of an inferior quality.

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Funny how much argument tiled bath panels cause. I remember going through all the discussions when I was planning my (DIY) bathroom some time ago. I think they look nice and higher end than most of the (cheaper, at least) alternatives.

The most important thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is - you want to make sure your bath trap is accessible in the future! So you need to incorporate an access panel. Schluter have a good solution for this called REMA - magnetic brackets that mean the panel is virtually invisible.

So I don't really see the point for these ready made bath panel kits. Just frame out and board so that your panel corresponds to the grout joints either side of where the bath trap is.

W

Waluigi

I assumed the OP wanted a large tile backer board so the whole thing can be removeable.

Reply to Tiling a bath panel ??? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks