Discuss Tiles not adhered, hollow sound and cracked grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

Eastyorkstile

just looking for some advice as to what has gone wrong. Used a local plumber who came highly recommended, unfortunately the guy I normally use was mega busy and couldn’t fit me in for over 6 months and we couldn’t wait that long.

Summary Kitchen floor, wooden floorboards, porcelain tiles.

Left adhesive and backer to him to supply. It’s no more ply but not sure of adhesive.

All was well for a couple of months until a couple of tiles were moving , sounded hollow underfoot and grout was cracking. He returned to repair but I was not present. 3 months later same problem but across many parts of the floor, again he returned and ‘repaired’.

Couple of months later and more cracked grout and tiles moving and hollow so sought a second opinion from the guy I would have used originally.

Upshot is he thought something was wrong and I agreed for him to lift some tiles to investigate further. See pictures and He has ended up taking the lot up and redoing Properly. I kept the failed tiles for proof if necessary.

Grateful for comments as what went wrong.

Had the original guy back to show him the pictures of his handiwork and he denies its anything to do with his work quality or preparation that it’s failed.

Im no expert but the glue pattern on floor indicates that the joints were not glued to floor so would likely move? No back butter of tiles and the silicon grab repair beggars belief.

He can’t give me a sensible answer why the repaired tiles were stuck with silicon grab adhesive.

I appreciate that I have taken his tiles up but this was the only way to establish the problem as he was in denial and the bodged repair indicates he had no intention of correcting (plus I wouldn’t have wanted him to have another go!)

So what went wrong and do I have any recourse?

Thanks.

34FF5918-EE78-4A05-8936-ACD0F1BE2A69.jpeg 3E7BCC14-A239-4FF3-9AA0-BC239A20B340.jpeg 920DCE63-92C7-4B95-A283-2282D794F7EB.jpeg CBCA72A5-AB37-4552-9120-4B64BC33FE7D.jpeg C6265239-9DC9-4E52-8FDA-1C4090595A19.jpeg 4588FF93-AE65-4DF8-B80F-5DE8D5FFE807.jpeg 59A151A9-0A1D-4B0C-B4AE-9F008E6679E4.jpeg 92412E00-702B-49BF-8587-B7D505FF58A1.jpeg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like hardi board, or has nmp started having grids on them?

E

Eastyorkstile

No the hardiboard was done 2nd go - the pic shows bronze screw used 1st time vs screw for Hardie

E

Eastyorkstile

He says 8 screws per board used. I know that’s bs cos there were 18 boards and we didn’t take 150 screws up! The screw holes that were there were random and look like normal wood screws imho

E

Eastyorkstile

Just to confirm bodge job was nmp mega strength and bronze screw .

Redone with Hardi and he screwed every hole on the board! so around 35 screws in each one.

E

Eastyorkstile

Was corrected by flexible adhesive onto floorboards to level with hardi plus screwed down

Reply to Tiles not adhered, hollow sound and cracked grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks