Discuss Tiles coming up, cracks, and hollow points in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Solid bed is near if not 100% coverage of adhesive between tile and substrate. It needs to be of a sufficient depth depending on tile and state of substrate. In your case you would want a 20mm x 10. Round notched trowel with a back skin to the time to ensure 100%

Given the tiles they took up had less than 50% coverage, if the rest of the tiles have similarly insufficient coverage would this be considered a defect to be rectified even on the tiles that show not visible signs of impairment?

Would I be wrong to presume the probability of the tiles having future issues due to insufficient adhesive coverage is much higher than it should be?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you have issues with some. You may have issues with all. I would pick 5 tiles at random across the area and take the them up. If. They are as others then the whole lot of the same. Sorry

O

One Day

The adhesive is made by Bostik and sold by Travis Perkins.
Although it claims to be flexible, perhaps it isn't flexible enough?

This other adhesive claims C2FT
4TRADE Flexible Non-slip Fast Set Floor & Wall Tile Adhesive White 20kg | Travis Perkins - https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/4TRADE-Flexible-Non-slip-Fast-Set-Floor+Wall-Tile-Adhesive-White-20kg/p/106850
whereas yours doesn't - and that would concern me greatly.
Unfortunately, there is no other data I can find...
Even if the adhesive is wrong, the installation method is so rubbish, it would likely have failed anyway.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No. It’s a layer on top of screed like a scum which occurs when screed drys. It needs removing as the adhesive can’t bond soundly to it. It’s also possible that no primer was used.

Reaction score
The adhesive is made by Bostik and sold by Travis Perkins.
Although it claims to be flexible, perhaps it isn't flexible enough?

Even if the adhesive is wrong, the installation method is so rubbish, it would likely have failed anyway.

On the back of the adhesive it has C2F on it. Should that be good enough?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That means it’s a (C) cementitious, (2) improved adhesive that is (F) fast setting

I have no experience of that brand. However the overall method and prep means (I so Would suggest) that any c2f addy would not help. It’s the not the adhesive at fault for the whole issue

O

One Day

I think we all know that it's a rubbish adhesive though, and if we tested it ourselves I would be amazed if it actually delivered.
Still, I think any adhesive would have struggled to stick given that there was so much air between the tiles and the substrate!

Reaction score
If you have issues with some. You may have issues with all. I would pick 5 tiles at random across the area and take the them up. If. They are as others then the whole lot of the same. Sorry

can I insist they redo the tiles or would these incorrectly laid tiles not be considered a defect until they actually crack?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always thought you needed S1 adhesive for underfloor heating.
Could be wrong though.

Reply to Tiles coming up, cracks, and hollow points in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks