Discuss tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SpItal_Jeff

I got a professional top tile my wetroom because I was scared of making a mistake.

After he left it occurred to me that he never fit the frame for the drain cover.

The shower tray has a linear drain with a stainless frame that should have been screwed in place and tiled up to. Now some tiles are too far back and some are obstructing the installation of the frame.

I need to remove the tiles surrounding the drain, install the frame and retile up to it.

My fear is that the floor has been tanked and the drain portion of the tray is plastic.

Is it possible to remove these tiles without damaging the tray or am I looking at taking up the entire floor and starting again?

Attatched is a photo.

20170413_043503.jpg

F

Flintstone

What sort of tanking system was used and what tray? Get the bloke back to fix his **** up! That's why he didn't put the drain on, cos it doesn't fit due to his errors.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Slightly bigger photo.

My question isn't if I should get him back. ...of course I should. However as he has been paid for the floor before I noticed the mistake, time will tell if he returns.

My question is CAN IT BE FIXED? Can the tiles stuttering the drain be lifted without damaging the tray or the plastic drain? Obviously if the integrity of the tray is compromised the only solution I can see is to lift the floor replace the tray and start again. I'd obviously like to avoid this

20170413_043449.jpg

O

One Day

Oh dear oh dear. Not a professional that's for sure.
You won't know if the waterproofing even exists unless you take a tile up.
It's not done anywhere near properly so get him back!

S

SpItal_Jeff

First time I've seen a Victorian floor in a wet room by the way, any photos of the bigger picture ?

It's a small 1.1mx2.4m room with an odd shape shower area. So to avoid cuTring a tray I tanked the room and used a wet room shower tray. It's a 200 year old house hence the victorian tiles.

B

Blunt Tool

Im sorry but that does not look like a professional job, I would either get him back to sort or ask for a refund. Tiling is just overall not good!

S

SpItal_Jeff

What is needed it to lift all of the tiles surrounding the drain.

How would you do that?

S

SpItal_Jeff

Im sorry but that does not look like a professional job, I would either get him back to sort or ask for a refund. Tiling is just overall not good!

I have asked him. But I am relying on him coming back. Can it be fixed? How?

S

SpItal_Jeff

Oh dear oh dear. Not a professional that's for sure.
You won't know if the waterproofing even exists unless you take a tile up.
It's not done anywhere near properly so get him back!

I did the waterproofing so I know it exists. That isn't the question.

THE TILES SURROUNDING THE DRAIN NEED TO BE REMOVED. CAN THIS BE DONE WITHOUT DAMAGING THE TRAY? HOW?

O

One Day

I did the waterproofing so I know it exists. That isn't the question.

THE TILES SURROUNDING THE DRAIN NEED TO BE REMOVED. CAN THIS BE DONE WITHOUT DAMAGING THE TRAY? HOW?
Ok. Understand now. What tray is it and what did you waterproof with?

B

Blunt Tool

Some tiles are squint and lipped, the finish around drain is terrrible. He should have had the drain in situ to make sure it fitted and all cuts straight and even.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Take out the insert and carefully chisel then up.
To be frank, the job is so terrible I imagine they'll come up easily and that there is no effective waterproofing underneath anyway.

I did the waterproofing so I know it's there.

The stainless insert is just sitting on top. The plastic drain is an integral part of the shower tray and can't be removed or damaged.

Reply to tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks