Discuss Tiled floor thickness? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm fitting a new door opening and am trying to plan for the tiled floor thickness. I am planning to overlay 6mm cement board over the floorboards and tile over that (with 8-10mm tiles?). So my calcs says I need 6 plus 10 plus two layers of adhesive (one for the cement board and one for the tiles). Is that adhesive around 4mm each? So in total would that floor be about 24mm?

Also under the door, the new tiled floor will meet floorboards from the next room. Seems like 24mm (if that is right) is quite a jump up - any advice on how to finish it nicely?

Thanks a lot for reading and thanks even more if you've got a couple of minutes to advise.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If the floor is flat then it will be around 22mm. A carpet and underlay up to the tile will be between 16 an 20 mm depending on the carpet. If you trim the tile edge across the door way a slight difference will not notice.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply and I'm sure you are right. In the meantime, whilst I was waiting for a reply, I found this American guide and within it it says:

How Thick Is Tile Flooring & Backer Board When Installed? - https://homeguides.sfgate.com/thick-tile-flooring-backer-board-installed-91640.html

Backer board installs to a subfloor with a layer of thinset. Another layer is necessary for installing the tiles. Both layers, together, can add another 1/8 inch to the finished floor.

1/8 inch is only 3.1mm and that is for both layers of adhesive? Sounds very small? But I wish it was true because the other room isn't going to be carpeted so will be a jump up direct from the floorboards.

Is your 22mm is 10mm tiles, 6mm board and then 3mm each for each adhesive?

Reply to Tiled floor thickness? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks