Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Tile Trim and joining it in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. peteski2018

peteski2018 New to TilersForums.co.uk

Hi all,

Having taken the plunge and started tiling my kitchen walls (4 high metro tiles around the length of the surfaces) I now face an issue. I intend to use chrome straight edge tile trim across the top but it looks like I'll need to run one piece on to the next as the length of one wall section is more than the 2.5m that the trim lengths come in (3.37m to be exact). My question is how do I go about butting up the two pieces so the join is as discrete as is possible? Is there a particular technique to do this? Do I cut the two pieces in a particular way? Someone said you can disguise the join with clear silicone? Is this right? Am I over thinking this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

If i have to join trims I try to do it that the two factory cut ends are the ends that join . Then just make sure they are both at the same level . If one is sitting back slightly just wedge it of the wall a bit .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. peteski2018

Thanks for your advice I'll go with that. There are no videos or anything I could find anywhere suggesting solutions. Surely this is a common problem people find?

4. JulianSidney

JulianSidney Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

would look better imho without trim

5. peteski2018

What would you do just silicone the top line?

6. Waluigi

Waluigi Top Contributor

I usually make a judgement based on the tiles.

I’m doing some metros this week. Half tiled in a cloakroom. I’ll be using trim. It’s another surface you have to wipe down and I just find it cleaner. I always show my customer the options and usually they choose trim.

Just to add- I just butt the trims up too. Make sure the machined edges aren’t burred at all. If they are they file back a little.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. peteski2018

That's great thanks very much for the tip. I think with trim looks better to be honest. Makes the job look finished and helps to tie everything in with handles/taps etc.

8. JulianSidney

JulianSidney Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

grout the gap, decorator can caulk and paint, gives a more pleasing transition between wall and tile, that's only my opinion, everyone will have a different view. Depends on the look your after, bling or minimal or just ask the lady of the house.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. acaciaguy

acaciaguy Professional Tiler

Caulk rather than silicone. Silicone doesn’t like being painted

10. Bond

Bond TilersForums.co.uk Addict

You could always join trim at a45degree angle, it’s the way l would go if the join is in a obvious place, it’s a better way of concealing,less obvious if done well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. peteski2018

That’s great thanks for all the advice. One final question if I may.....
    Do I grout the bottom edge gap between bench lip and tile and then silicone a thin bead over or just grout it and leave at that?

2524CC26-2C89-46E9-B7AB-D62466985B52.jpeg

12. Adey1980

Adey1980 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Use a colour match silicone to your grout colour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1