Discuss Tile slithers on windowsill in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

gratts

Hi,

I'm currently part way through my first attempt at tiling in my kitchen and have encountered my first issue when setting out around the window sill above the sink.

The depth of the recess is slightly larger than the tile, so if the tile on the base of the sill is sat flush with the from trim there is a ~15 mm gap against the window frame.

What is the best way of dealing with this? Do I just cut down 10 mm slithers for the gap? Or am I better off centering each tile between the trim and the window frame and then using a slightly thicker grout line front and back to fill the gap? I've attached some photos to explain - two showing the tile flush with the trim and two showing it centered with gaps at front and back.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

IMG_20181124_102420.jpg IMG_20181124_102412.jpg IMG_20181124_102220.jpg IMG_20181124_102207.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had this yesterday. I opted for a 15mm quadrant beading for the sill. I was doing brickbond so side reveals weren't an issue - if only doing half wall then you'll have to have 2 cuts on the sides to do away with the need for side beading as that will look as the cut end will be proud and visible.

Also worth checking if having the trim the other way nabs you enough mm to solve the issue.

S

Spare Tool

As above the side reveals aren't a problem if you fix them horizontally, you could just stick a piece of white scotia beading on the back of the sill after tiling, neatly siliconed to tiles and window frame it wont look out of place..

Reply to Tile slithers on windowsill in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks