Discuss Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

Njdceramics

Hi all turned up to my job this morning laying 60x60 Versace porcelain and have complaints about shade variation

The job has a large centre piece with Nero black tiles then the the border and then the blanco into the other areas of the room

First day layed centre piece then borders and white tiles cut into borders and no problems

Second day protected tiling already done with sheets and worked off dry tiling to start expanding the White tiles away from the centre piece at end of day pulled up protection cleaned over floor and ran out to make sons school parents evening

This morning under fresh light and with all tiling exposed you can see that there is a shading issue

I suppose what I'm asking is how liable I am considering that all batch and shade numbers are identical on the boxes and these tiles have come directly from the factory in Italy and of course are not cheap tiles
The suppliers have agreed to send a new lot of the White and customer is happy with all the black tiles and border work so will not have to remove them just the whites but obviously now I will have to strip out a day and a half of my work and start from scratch
So would the customer be entitled to compensation or is it just if you fitted it its your fault card which is a pig because the tiles they don't match with were covered to avoid any scratching so couldn't really see they weren't matching up
Will try to workout how to post pictures but at the moment just wondering where I stand and what the factories stance will be
Also still have all the boxes with batch and shade numbers at the job
After a rummage in the skip great fun

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Only you can see the shading issues - not visible on photos - but if all the boxes and shade numbers are the same and kept, there's not much you can do IMHO.
I'd be charging for taking them up!

Nice job!

F

Flintstone

I would be complaining to the supplier and try and get them to compensate you for lost time

N

Njdceramics

Thanks timeless if you zoom in some of the outside rows there is a grey tinge to some supplier turned up and said if I was a good tiler I wouldn't have fitted them

And I did check all codes before starting so how much responsibility do I have to take for their product

Also not helped having to start in centre of room to make sure focal point is right then having the audacity to protect my work

I

Italy

I'm sorry, but it is written on the box.
tiler, you have to stop and charge lost day, from tile factory. (Via the supplier).

F

Flintstone

If you have checked all the boxes and shade numbers are the same then that's all you can do, your not gonna inspect every tile. Stand your ground with them! Not sure how they can compensate you unless it's a tile shop

I

Italy

If you have checked all the boxes and shade numbers are the same then that's all you can do, your not gonna inspect every tile. Stand your ground with them! Not sure how they can compensate you unless it's a tile shop
you must inspect each tile.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd have told him to f... off and I don't swear! He's trying to portion blame away from his product.
Just do it, put in a extra on your bill and take it from there or not. At the end of the day you won't be happy if you leave them, you can't walk without some pay, so best smile and learn.
Tell us all the name of the tiles, the name of the rep, and like BCT tiles we'll give our opinions.

H

hmtiling

As you haven't supplied the tiles and checked codes then I don't think you should be replacing them without be paid to do so. As local says, supplier should be paying.

F

Flintstone

Deffinately if you haven't supplied tiles you should be the one that's in a strong position with the customer!

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd be charging to replace as well. If all batch and shade numbers match then imo you'd every right to fit them. The customer presumably took and accepted delivery so they must take some responsibility. It can be difficult to notice shading differences when you've just got your head down working. Also, the fact the supplier is willing to supply more tiles I'd take as an admission of fault with the original ones supplied.

N

Njdceramics

Customer supplied through her brothers tile import company
Tiles come direct from factory

Customer being really nice she just doesn't want to get caught up in the argument

And yes timeless I wasn't there when this was said

H

hmtiling

Customer supplied through her brothers tile import company
Tiles come direct from factory

Customer being really nice she just doesn't want to get caught up in the argument

And yes timeless I wasn't there when this was said
If she was being really nice she'd have said ' of course I'll pay for the extra time as it's not your fault'

Reply to Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks