Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile on 2 different substrates. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Could someone advise me please?
One floor is concrete, the other one is plywood supported by a metal structure underneath (extension area)
My plan is to get the 2 floors level whit cement boards, then apply floor leveler, go over the area with DITRA Matting and install an expansion joint where the 2 floors meet.
Finally tile over the whole thing. Please, advise anyone?

Thanks guys

IMG_20190227_114851.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
2 ways imo , cement board the lot(making sure the wood floor is solid)span the break in the floor with boards,SLC,Matt if you want and tile,option two, board up to each side of the crack,slc, leaving the gap , Matt up to each side of the gap if you want, then tile up to each side of the gap and silicone or use a expansion joint bead

OP
francesco
Reaction score
Thanks Widler,
Really appreciate your help. After leveling the 2 substrate, what if I run the Ditra from side to side of the floor without a gap, and put an expansion joint right where the 2 floor meet?
Thanks

OP
francesco
Reaction score
I'll go for the second option,
Definitely cut the ditra and install a movement joint where the 2 floor meet.
Thanks for helping!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes, if your going to put the joint in, run it right through, no point in it being there otherwise

OP
francesco
Reaction score
Hi there,
Sorry for being a pain! I was looking into Schluter Expansion Joints, not 100% sure which one to use. First or second photo?
Cheers

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.32.20.png Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.32.51.png

H

hmtiling

I would only board the timber side then slc the concrete. Use a colour coded soft(silicone) joint where they meet if domestic.

Reply to Tile on 2 different substrates. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock