Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile lippage - shall I stop the work? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
R

ReX83

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all - first post here :).

I need expert advice on how to proceed....

I have hired a developer to remove a wall and join two rooms.
the two rooms were already tiled with 20x114cm ceramic tiles.

They had to remove the floor of the smaller room because the two rooms were not levelled. I am being charged 1.5k+ for this "unexpected work", including self levelling compound.

Yesterday they started tile but after looking at what they have done (5 lines of tiles) I can tell that there is lippage between some of the new tiles and the old ones. I haven't measured but in few points I would say it is 1 or 2mm.

I appreciate that it is not easy to handle long tiles but the whole ground floor of the house is tiled with the same porcelain tiles and it is perfect, not a visibile or perceptible step.

I have mentioned it to the "tiler" and will speak with his boss later today.

I suppose I am not the only unlucky customer of "handyman tilers"... how do you suggest to proceed?

As extreme option I would even consider to ask them to stop and call a professional tiler to resume/redo the job...

Thanks

OP
R

ReX83

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I can't take a picture now because they are working in the room. I will do later this afternoon.

The manager will come soon. Is there a test or term of reference I can use to prove (or disprove) my point?

OP
O

Old Mod

C70FF1C6-8565-44A7-89D6-66DDAA65E44B.jpeg

08B1B658-15B7-42DB-87A7-5B3554B85635.jpeg
But aesthetically, you’re the client, it’s your call, handle with care if it’s within BS.

OP
R

ReX83

Thanks - I didn't know that there were so detailed specs.

It is definitely more than 1 mm and the joints are less than 4mm.

I've spoken to the manager, after a lot of resistance he decided to call another tiler to have a look at it and hopefully redo the wrong ones. According to me all of them.

While showing the issue, I realised it is even worst than I initially noticed. I don't get how they try to let this things pass...

I will keep you posted (and post some pictures later today).

OP
R

ReX83

Apparently they are now removing the tiles they have laid and a new tiler will come redo the job. I wonder if this is enough and it is time I found a tiler on my own.

If any of the wrong tile is left on the floor, I will take a picture.

OP
R

ReX83

All the tiles have been removed, except few of them.

I've attached 2 pictures of the same tiles in the kitchen, 2 pictures of the work in progress before they removed the tiles (the lippage is not evident in these photos but these were taken before I noticed the issues) and a picture of the gap between two tiles they left.

The work will resume in a couple of days.

IMG_20180521_164402.jpg IMG_20180522_181536.jpg IMG_20180522_181635.jpg IMG_20180522_181601.jpg IMG_20180521_164358.jpg

OP
O

Old Mod

So what is with this image, were there tiles in there, or hadn’t he got around to it?
Well at least you should be getting someone who’s capable now.

5C245977-0FE1-4B42-AEE3-549EE345F363.jpeg

OP
W

WetSaw

I'm puzzled by that photo too. I thought the floor had been levelled but that looks like a fair bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ which I'm not convinced the trowel used to make those serrations would give.

OP
O

Old Mod

I'm puzzled by that photo too. I thought the floor had been levelled but that looks like a fair bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ which I'm not convinced the trowel used to make those serrations would give.
And the fact that it’d been trowelled with no tile placed down. I wondered if that’s what it looked like after their removal! :eek:

OP
R

ReX83

So, it took me some time to convince the builder that the problem were not to the tiles (he said they were not perfectly flat) or the floor (that was just leveled by the way).

Eventually another tiler came and all the tiles poorly installed were removed. Not a single tile was damaged in the removal process, so I wonder if they were glued properly. The new installation took some time but I am now very happy with the result (no lippage and uniform gaps of 3mm).

He also had to remove part of the self'-leveling compound (I could see the guy frustration when he looked at it - lol) because it was not leveled: it uniformly raised the floor.

OP
R

ReX83

Quick update - the work is complete but the grout is brighter than the original one. We removed a small sample from the original floor and compared to Mapei samples but apparently it is a shadow darker (we thought it was 133 but it is 134.

Is there any trick to make it darker without waiting for ageing or redoing it?

Reply to Tile lippage - shall I stop the work? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock