Discuss Tile grout colour enthusiast says hi in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TideGrout

Hello All,

My story: I’m not a tiler, but getting a house built, so had to choose tiles & grouts. Due to traveling, I had to choose from one brand (Sopro), while the tiler preferred colour in another brand (Mapei).

I wanted to match the colours online to send the correct code - just to face how hard that task is. But the tech enthusiast I am, I feel challenged to solve it.

So I started building a tool for this task (matching grout colours). I wonder if you, either as a professional or a house builder caught in the headlight, would find use in such a tool?

By the way, if you are accidentally considering to match grout colours, feel free to send them my way and let me see what I can come up with. For now I was focusing on a few brands like Mapei, BAL and Ardex, but others should be tackled as well.

All the best & happy grouting!

T

TideGrout

For example, if you are interested what Mapei colour to use to get a color effect similar to a given Sopro colour. For example, what Mapei colour would Sopro's chestnut be?

But I'm interested in the professional's perspective. Maybe you know this by heart. Maybe would just suggest the client to really take a look on the real samples and make a decision based on that..

D

Dumbo

To be honest I wouldn't be interested, I show clients grout samples which they choose from or they have chosen already and produce their own

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had the very same problem today...
The customer had purchased mapie grout which I hate using with a passion, so I managed to get him to take it back and I matched a similar colour in my preferred grout 3000...
One thing I found is you can never match it exactly...

T

TideGrout

Andy: that sounds interesting. Let me check 3000 tomorrow. Indeed, perfect match won't happen even in theory.

One thing I wonder - the brands produce their colour guides, but I assume their different grouts will actually give different shades of those colours, wouldn't they? Not just epoxy vs non-epoxy, but even in the same category?

impish: not really, Sopro was the only grout offered in the shop I had access to in a rush. As I get, it's not very (or at all) popular in the UK?

G

GoneGuy

Hello and welcome, interesting do you have a few grout charts or are doing it off a computer screen as this will also vary in colour as well??
I usually show my customers a grout chart and they either choose that or supply their own.
Might be handy for the tilers who travel a lot and can’t get access to their chosen grout

T

Time's Ran Out

How many customers leave a final choice of grout colour till most of the tiling is completed in situ. Then it’s which brand/colour is available within2 days max. How many open bags of tester grouts do we have in the store because they changed their mind when a sample was done?
So many brands, so many colours, so many ... I just want to get done, get paid and get onto the next one.

D

Dumbo

How many customers leave a final choice of grout colour till most of the tiling is completed in situ. Then it’s which brand/colour is available within2 days max. How many open bags of tester grouts do we have in the store because they changed their mind when a sample was done?
So many brands, so many colours, so many ... I just want to get done, get paid and get onto the next one.
It was great when you had two grout bags on the van for wall tiling 1 white 1 ivory every possible situation covered . Even better when it was just white . Mapei pushing into this country have got a lot to answer to .

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
We give samples and the customers take ages ! Last job the Lady said Jasmin, the morning we were grouting she changed her mind wanted Beige. Waited an hour for her to get it !!!

T

TideGrout

Personally I would be happy with the whites, but since there are the coloured ones, Pandora's box is wide open..

@Adey1980: I use the digital grout charts. Indeed, when displayed on a monitor, it will be off vs reality. Though monitors can be calibrated (see for example the free Calibrize - http://calibrize.com), also the eyes adapt and would perceive the relative differences well.

@Andy Allen: I wonder which colour did you choose?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The mapei grout they bought was Manhattan......
There now using tilemaster grout 3000 natural....... although I would of said the light grey was a better match.
But they wanted to go darker rather than lighter..

Lot easier when the choice was white or white...!

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The mapei grout they bought was Manhattan......
There now using tilemaster grout 3000 natural....... although I would of said the light grey was a better match.
But they wanted to go darker rather than lighter..

Lot easier when the choice was white or white...!
Or snowcrete:D

Reply to Tile grout colour enthusiast says hi in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks