Discuss Tile Disposal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tiler tom

How do you tilers go about handling disposal of tiles. By thay I don't mean "take them to the tip". If it is just off cuts I usually wait until sufficient hs ammased and then alternate between different tips so it is not noticable and looks like private waste but to those of you that do a lot of tile removal do you incorporate the cost of disposal in the price or explain you are charged for disposal and charge separatley giving the customer the choice of disposing the tiles themselves?

B

brian c

i will hire a small skip for about 70quid and i can usually get all the old sanitary ware and old tiles in,alternatively check your local paper as some guys uplift rubbish at a cost.Just incorporate it in your price,saves going back and forward to the dump m8.

D

davyh50

yeah, that was a question i had as more people will want the waste taken away, especially as around my way there is more and more apartments going up.

T

tactile

i'm having this same problem now. my local tip is now taking car reg numbers and making sure it is your local tip and that you arnt tipping business waste! there are only so many times you can get a new bathroom or kitchen fitted!

talking to a carpet fitter, and he reckons by law, all waste must be left on site!

but i do feel like a bit of a git for doing that!

any advise is welcome?

E

etc.tiling

Here you go guys. This is what the law says we need:

Do I need to register as a waste carrier or broker?
This information will help you work out whether you need to register as a waste carrier or broker, or whether you are exempt.
Carriers

Unless you qualify for an exemption, if you want to transport controlled waste in England and Wales as part of your business or with a view to profit, you need to register as a waste carrier. However, you don’t need to do this if:
  • you are carrying waste that you have produced UNLESS it is building or demolition waste;
  • you are moving waste between different places within the same premises;
  • you are transporting waste from outside Great Britain to a place within it and the waste is not landed in Great Britain until it arrives at that place.
  • the waste is being transported by sea or air from a place in Great Britain to a place outside Great Britain.
Charges
The current charges (2007-08) for registering as a carrier or producer of controlled waste are:
  • Registration of carriers and brokers: £144
  • Renewal of registration: £99
  • Registration of a broker who is already registered as a carrier of controlled waste: £38
Hope that is helpful. Just reminded me that I need to stop taking my rubbish away or build the cost on to each job I do. The stealth taxes in this country are a total joke - talk about a barrier to us fellas being in business!!

T

Turkish

On a much smaller scale (and here comes dumb question of the year!) how do you pro`s dispose of the water and grout mix from your washboy? Don`t want to be blocking customers sinks!:icon9:

G

GazTech

On a much smaller scale (and here comes dumb question of the year!) how do you pro`s dispose of the water and grout mix from your washboy? Don`t want to be blocking customers sinks!:icon9:
Always try to find waste ground ...back of garage..in a hedge..but be careful not to make mrs Smiths prize winning Roses turn from beautiful red to snow white......Gaz

T

Turkish

Cheers Gaz, on the other hand maybe she would appreciate the "snowy" theme in her garden!!:laugh4:

H

Holohana

I put any excess grout and residue from bottom of bucket into a bin bag or old addy buccket and try and reduce whats in the water to a minimum.

Then water can safely go down the drain in the street or garden etc! Only make the mistake of not doing that once eh chaps....!

Never the sink, drainpipe or deffo never the bog! :hanged:

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Turkish, I usually try to find a mains drain in the street and pour away the the water there, leaving the sediment in the bottom of the wash boy. The grout sinks to the bottom of the water reasonably quickly so it is really quite clean to pour away after 1/2 hr or so. I then scrape the sediment out into the bin or something like that or even a plastic bag before it goes in the bin. Washboy then only really needs a rinse out and wipe.

Other alternative is to leave the sediment to set after pouring the water away and bang out the bottom of the bucket. Then clean with water. I find this method harder work though!

Grump

R

reaper72

Every council everywhere's bin men run an uplift homer buisiness on the side-i **** you people not-get a hold of someone who knows a bin lorry driver-they r usually the ringleaders and get his mobile number-they're far cheaper than the tip and they come to the site-Seriously- I'm speaking from experience here.......:thumbsup:

L

Leatherface

With regards to the disposal of tiles I always advise the customer on my quote that I do not usually dispose of waste tiles as I am not allowed to take them to the tip as I have a van & this is considered as trade waste - consequently I am charged for it. I giv them the option for me to dispose of them at a cost - maybe £50.00 - most customers prefer to take to the tip themselves & are on the whole very sympathetic.
Not worth hiring a skip for a few off cuts

Reply to Tile Disposal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks